Best water system

Explain/ show me water systems that have worked for you. Preferably low mess. What we’re doing now does not work for us lol. I made a cool rig with duck cups but they were not the brightest and started stepping on them and broke them so we just gave up and water them from a bucket🤷🏽‍♀️
I use rubber pans, like the ones we feed horses with. They are durable and easy for them to use.

Explain/ show me water systems that have worked for you. Preferably low mess. What we’re doing now does not work for us lol. I made a cool rig with duck cups but they were not the brightest and started stepping on them and broke them so we just gave up and water them from a bucket🤷🏽‍♀️
I don't know if this is similar to your duck cups, but I like to use these cups on 10 and 15 gallon containers. They still make a mess around the waterer, but the cups are easy to hose out and they don't waste a lot or dirty all the water in a few minutes. One of them is on a deck for easy hosing around it. I only have to refill the 15 gallon one (for 10 ducks) about every 3 days. This is the best picture I have, it's in the background.

I'm interested in hearing about anything someone has found that is low mess too!

IMG_20220723_142953_905.jpg

I don't know if this is similar to your duck cups, but I use these cups on 10 and 15 gallon containers. They still make a mess around the waterer, but the cups are easy to hose out and they don't waste a lot or dirty all the water in a few minutes. One of them is on a deck for easy hosing around it. I only have to refill the 15 gallon one (for 10 ducks) about every 3 days.
I'm interested in hearing about anything someone has found that is low mess too!
Yes those are the cups I used and got broken because they kept stepping on them 😂 did you end up raising the bucket on a cinder block or something so they wouldn’t step on them?

Yes those are the cups I used and got broken because they kept stepping on them 😂 did you end up raising the bucket on a cinder block or something so they wouldn’t step on them?
I put one on a cinder block and the other on a paving stone. I think a cinder block would definitely stop them from stepping in it. I haven't ever seen one of mine try that 😆.

Ducks also need deep water to flush their nares (nostrils) out throughout the day. Here’s an idea a lot of people use. You can use lots of different containers and such and cut holes in the top big enormous th for them to put their head in and still have room. I saw someone bury a horse trough once and then cut a piece of plywood to fit on the top with little holes in it. They just need something to dunk their heads into to clean up.

Attachments

• 2BB49DC8-46C2-4F0D-AEB0-14BCB08EC6F3.jpeg
    2BB49DC8-46C2-4F0D-AEB0-14BCB08EC6F3.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 9
Ducks also need deep water to flush their nares (nostrils) out throughout the day. Here’s an idea a lot of people use. You can use lots of different containers and such and cut holes in the top big enormous th for them to put their head in and still have room. I saw someone bury a horse trough once and then cut a piece of plywood to fit on the top with little holes in it. They just need something to dunk their heads into to clean up.
True, I have stock tanks for them to swim in so I don't worry about making sure the waterers are deep. But that's a clever idea for when they don't have swimming water.

I like this idea. Wondering if it would be better to have holes on the sides so they could still get water without having to be full to top.

How did you cut such perfect holes? @picklestheduck

Last edited:
We ended up just giving them a kiddy pool so they can drink and swim. We put it over wood chips so the soil erosion wouldn’t be too bad and it’s working out great

Back
Top Bottom