Best way to catch/collect chicken poop??

musikfan6

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Lititz, PA
What is the best way to catch the chicken poop that drops down while they are roosting? I've heard about these frames you can build that have screens in them??? Anyone know what I"m talking about. I'd be most grateful for any ideas.

Some people use poop boards that they scrape off every week or every day, depending on how many chickens you have. I do not bother. They mix up the shavings with the poop, and it composts.

So you could just use a piece of plywood?? Or you can just shovel it up, turn it over, etc??

You mentioned shavings. Do you line the floor of your coop with pine shavings, or hay, or what? I've been reading about this and I've seen mention of a base of anywhere from 4 inches and deeper. I've got a concrete floor in my coop and about 100 square feet.

So you could just use a piece of plywood??  Or you can just shovel it up, turn it over, etc??

You mentioned shavings.  Do you line the floor of your coop with pine shavings, or hay, or what?  I've been reading about this and I've seen mention of a base of anywhere from 4 inches and deeper.  I've got a concrete floor in my coop and about 100 square feet.   

Mine is maybe 6+ inches. Not 100% sure.. My coop is actually frozen shut. I can't get in there :/ They have their chicken door, but my people door was built too low to the ground.. Next time I will learn :p

You could use plywood with linoleum flooring over it for easy clean-up. Someone used old lunch trays that were easy to spray down and clean.

I really like mine. How it is set up depends on your operation and what you are trying to accomplish. I never liked the smell of chicken poop. So as soon as I smell it the bedding is changed. Composting with shavings takes to long. I don't like to use straw or hey as bedding. I use hay for the nesting box. We have 5 hens so our coop is't very big. I put plywood under the roast and clean it once a week

It takes me 15 minutes a week to clean the coop, and I don't have a manure-collecting shelf or use deep litter. All I do is use pine shavings and pick things up with a fine-tined pitchfork (found at any feed store.) I use a kitty litter scoop in the nesting boxes. Cleaned up once a week and it's never a big chore. I also keep the outside pen raked. Easy! You can see my set-up and read about it further at www.HenCam.com.

I installed poop boards in mine, best things ever! I helps keep the straw a lot cleaner for longer. I lined the boards with left over linoleum tiles and use a metal dust pan to scape into a bucket and dump in my compost bins. This is from one of my coops using left over

Last edited:
We have trays that we made from recycling a metal storage shed. The trays slide between two wooden brackets. Once a week we just pull the trays out and hose them down in the garden. Works great for the poop and the plants.

Love, love, love my poop hammock. I spend so much less time cleaning the coop these days. Just pull it out, dump it straight into the manure pit and put it back in. Easy to clean as well, just hose it off and let it air dry:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom