best way to clean eggs

I'd be afraid in the HOT HUMID days of summer my eggs would actually start growing babies.
lol.png
I put them in the fridge. I'm glad I have a bunch of happy customers after my "golden" eggs. They think they are a miracle.
wink.png

Quote:
If you look at the bottom of this message in my quotes area, there is a link to an article that discusses the different ways of storing eggs and how successful they are.

I agree with the other posts. I only wash my eggs just before I use them. The bloom is an excellent bacteria barrier on the eggs once you wash them the protection is gone.

I would not wash them then, either. Why?

I will wash a poopy egg before refrigerating, in plain water which is warmer than the egg, and use it first. I have yet to encounter a good reason to wash eggs, otherwise. And if I had an incubator, which I don't even want, I would not put an egg in that had required washing.

Only once, I ordered some eggs to place under a broody. They were poopy. There were about 10 eggs. Most were fertile; perhaps all. They all went stinky within a few days but one, which hatched. The chick survived for about 3 days, and never looked healthy.

To me, it is about avoiding poopy eggs. Don't let the hens sleep in the nest boxes, use a soiled egg quickly, and that's all.

I never wash mind until I'm ready to eat them. Right now it muddy and wet and sometimes the eggs are dirty but I just pile them in a bowl in the frig and rinse them with warm water and dry them with a paper towel before I eat them. Lets face it…with as much time as we spend picking up our girls, kissing them, cleaning out the coops etc. if we are going to contract something it gonna happen. My motto is don't touch your face and wash your hands.

Back
Top Bottom