I was infested with rats last year and went the poison route. It worked, I have almost no rats now, BUT the rats had moved the poison (green stick bait) and buried it in a bale of hay intended for my rabbits. Lucky for me they left enough evidence stuck to the bottom of the bale that I was able to see it and dispose of the whole thing. I'm currently infested with chipmunks. Have disposed of 7 in just over 24 hrs. 2 of them did themselves in by taking a dip in the kiddy pool I have for my ducks, the rest have been done in with a snap trap baited with peanut butter and some cracked corn stuck into the peanut butter. I think I'm going to try setting up a bucket trap as well.