Best way to cull a chick???

I always just wring their neck and pull at the same time then just throw them in the trash or compost or whatever and don't think about it or look at it more than you have to. It's quick and painless.

Quote:
+1... never fails to do the deed as painlessly as possible...

+1 more. Yep, I know it's not for everyone, but once you do it a few times, it should become a little easier to do.

OK... I went to go "pull its head off" but I just couldn't, so I used a bb gun that takes CO2 and shot it. It died right then and there. As for the other one it died overnight.

Quote:
I've never heard of the method of culling. How does it work?

Just put the chick in a tupperware container with some baking soda. Pour in the vinegar and seal it up quickly. The chick just falls asleep and never wakes up.

I don't actually use this method though, because it's too much work for me. I usually just opt for cutting off the head.

Quote:

Just put the chick in a tupperware container with some baking soda. Pour in the vinegar and seal it up quickly. The chick just falls asleep and never wakes up.

I don't actually use this method though, because it's too much work for me. I usually just opt for cutting off the head.

That sounds humane. Have you ever tried it? Do they suffer at all?

Quote:

...Continuing on from that, how much would you have to use? I am curious seeing as I usually cut the head off as this is a surefire way of culling though I could use this method in the future...

Yes, I have used this method in the past. It's just like watching them fall asleep, very peaceful. I've never actually measured how much vinegar and baking soda to use. Too much can't hurt anything because you want to make sure the chick goes totally uncouscious. The trick is to get a very small container to have the gases more concentrated.

Back
Top Bottom