Best Way to Disinfect

janelle18

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I have new chicks that I want to move to my brooder that previously held other chicks and some grown birds when space was needed. The brooder has a wire bottom, which means that it is difficult to clean since some of the poop doesnt fall all the way through and sticks etc. I cleaned it out the best I could with a shot-vac and scraping, so i am wondering if there is something i should spray just to disinfect the area as well? I have some powdered Virkon, but it seems like pretty intense stuff. Any suggestions? I need to get the chicks moved asap cause I have others on the way!

You could use the Virkon and simply rinse well. Don't let the powder get in your eyes, and don't inhale any. You could simply scrub with soap and water and a stiff brush, especially if there was no disease present. You could use a dilute bleach, then a dilute ammonia, solution. Of course, these cannot be used together or mixed. You would need to rinse throughly after one before applying the other.

I use Hot soapy water with white vinegar and a scrub brush on my brooder box. Then I spray 100% white vinegar all over it and let it dry.

I would use bleach mixed with water in a 10% solution inside and out, and use a scrub brush, spray again, rinse very well, then let dry in the sun. A pressure washer might take the place of scrubbing if you have one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom