Best way to feed roosters and hens living in the same coop.

I have a mixed flock, no roos, but older ladies slowing down in laying and pullets not yet laying mixed with active layers. I feed grower feed to the whole gang and provide oyster shells, crushed eggshells, and grit in the coop at all times for whenever they need it. For years I went back and forth using layer feed when I had only layers then switching to grower when integrating new pullets. No more! Grower feed year around for all now and they’re thriving.

I feed all flock all year around with oyster shell available at all times. I have a 4 1/2 yo rooster and my youngest hen right now is 1 1/2 yo. Hens don’t need extra calcium unless they are laying. Hens that are laying will consume the oyster shell as they need it. All flock has more protein and my chickens do well with it. They usually get out twice a day to forage (weather permitting) so that gives them additional nutrition. I also give them 1/2 cup of good quality scratch grains. They get a little extra scratch on bad weather days when they can’t get out of their run.

Quick question, Please. I have an mixed flock chicken hens, roosters, ducks and drakes, and guinnies. I have started feeding them layer pellets, but it sounds like I should not. Would it be better to feed All Flock and oyster shells? What would be better?

Quick question, Please. I have an mixed flock chicken hens, roosters, ducks and drakes, and guinnies. I have started feeding them layer pellets, but it sounds like I should not. Would it be better to feed All Flock and oyster shells? What would be better?
Yes, All Flock would be better, with oyster shells in a separate dish.

I have a mixed flock, no roos, but older ladies slowing down in laying and pullets not yet laying mixed with active layers. I feed grower feed to the whole gang and provide oyster shells, crushed eggshells, and grit in the coop at all times for whenever they need it. For years I went back and forth using layer feed when I had only layers then switching to grower when integrating new pullets. No more! Grower feed year around for all now and they’re thriving.
I did that for a short while when I had 7 week old pullets around too but realised my 24hour-layer stopped laying for 3 days straight...I switched back to starter feed and she started laying daily again. What I'm trying to say is some hens who are frequent layers will need more protein in their diet.

I did that for a short while when I had 7 week old pullets around too but realised my 24hour-layer stopped laying for 3 days straight...I switched back to starter feed and she started laying daily again. What I'm trying to say is some hens who are frequent layers will need more protein in their diet.
I don’t use starter feed. I use grower which is higher in protein. You can always supplement with black oil sunflower seeds and mealworms for added protein. Too much calcium is potentially damaging for your roos and drakes.

I don’t use starter feed. I use grower which is higher in protein. You can always supplement with black oil sunflower seeds and mealworms for added protein. Too much calcium is potentially damaging for your roos and drakes.
Starter feed is 22% protein here and grower is 18%. The calcium content is about 1-2% for both. Layers contain about 4-5% calcium. Strangely the mixed flock feed (equivalent to All Flock in US) sold here in Aust contains about 4% calcium - which is way too high for Roos I think.

So I’d like to get by using one kind of feed for both. I know laying hens have different needs than roosters so my question is: how best to pull this off? Can rosters get by on a layer feed? Should I use a “non- layer” feed and just keep a source of calcium out in another feeder for the girls? I read someplace that if I do that the hens will basically take what they need and the roosters will show no interest. Is that accurate? Any advice is appreciated.
In my barn, every bird eats laying pellets. I give them seven grain ("Big V" scratch) in the cold months, pitch some for them to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom