Best way to feed roosters and hens living in the same coop.

I don't do necropsies.
Now you're making me think to change feed. 🤔
Normally when a chicken dies from urolithiasis, they don't appear sick or show symptoms. When one of the last two kidney segments fail, they just die. Some lines are much more tolerant of excessive calcium than others, which one do you have?
The kidneys main job is mineral regulation in the bloodstream. Therefor excessive calcium, over what a bird can use, becomes an undue burden on the kidneys and eventually infest most organs.

Last edited:
I have a mixed flock, no roos, but older ladies slowing down in laying and pullets not yet laying mixed with active layers. I feed grower feed to the whole gang and provide oyster shells, crushed eggshells, and grit in the coop at all times for whenever they need it. For years I went back and forth using layer feed when I had only layers then switching to grower when integrating new pullets. No more! Grower feed year around for all now and they’re thriving.
That is the simplest and proper way to go, especially for aged hens and definitely birds prior to onset of lay.
The key to the whole thing is in the name - 'Layer Feed'. Layer feed is for birds actively laying. Being a female chicken doesn't make them a layer - laying eggs make them layers.
If you don't want to believe me, read the manufacturers' feeding instructions on the feed bag as determined by PhD degreed poultry nutritionists.

Another important thing that I suspect most people don't do is to read the guaranteed analysis tag and the mill date before one buys feed - they just tend to read the title of the feed and throw it on the cart.
Nutrient levels can change - that is what the guaranteed analysis tag is for, it tells what is in that bag, not the next bag or the one before it. I was using a grower feed for a while from a specific manufacturer and one day it went from 18% protein to 20% the next day. Finding out the calcium content and protein content and the freshness (mill date) of the contents is more important than what any one company names their feed.

Last edited:
So your suggesting that you feed a flock starter/grower and add grains in? I have 3 laying pullets and 11 week old pullets and a roo. One feeder has starter/grower in it for them and a feeder mixed with laying feed and starter/grower for my bigger girls. All of them seem to like the starter/grower and I have noticed that Roo will pick the barley out of the layer feed sunflower seeds too. Just trying to figure out if this is a good mix for them.. was thinking when this feed was gone to going to starter grower and mixing in layer feed with different grains. They get treats once in the morning usually mixed with the starter/grower and scraps.

That is the simplest and proper way to go, especially for aged hens and definitely birds prior to onset of lay.
The key to the whole thing is in the name - 'Layer Feed'. Layer feed is for birds actively laying. Being a female chicken doesn't make them a layer - laying eggs make them layers.
If you don't want to believe me, read the manufacturers' feeding instructions on the feed bag.

Another important thing that I suspect most people don't do is to read the guaranteed analysis tag and the mill date before one buys feed - they just tend to read the title of the feed and throw it on the cart.
Nutrient levels can change - that is what the guaranteed analysis tag is for, it tells what is in that bag, not the next bag or the one before it. I was using a grower feed for a while from a specific manufacturer and one day it went from 18% protein to 20% the next day. Finding out the calcium content and protein content and the freshness (mill date) of the contents is more important than what any one company names their feed.
Do you think that grower feed is better than an all flock feed to feed to chickens ducks and guinea? Hens roosters and drakes?

I only feel layer pellets to hens and roosters,
So I’d like to get by using one kind of feed for both. I know laying hens have different needs than roosters so my question is: how best to pull this off? Can rosters get by on a layer feed? Should I use a “non- layer” feed and just keep a source of calcium out in another feeder for the girls? I read someplace that if I do that the hens will basically take what they need and the roosters will show no interest. Is that accurate? Any

What about flock raiser and oyster shells?
flock raiser and all flock are basically the same thing, low calcium and higher crude protein.
Do you think that grower feed is better than an all flock feed to feed to chickens ducks and guinea? Hens roosters and drakes?
I would say so without looking at the guaranteed analysis tag. Theoretically 'all flock' should have a vitamin balance that can nurture waterfowl.
I've seen grower feed that is basically the same as all flock/flock raiser.
As I said before, it doesn't matter what the mill calls their feed. What matters is the protein (amino acid balance) vitamins and minerals. I've seen great disparities in vitamin content of feeds from different companies that all name them 'all flock'. That's why the name doesn't matter.
For instance, Purina flock raiser has almost twice the level of fat-soluble vitamins as that in one of the lines of Nutrena feed - also called flock raiser. Not to mention disparities in minerals and water-soluble vitamins.

If you have a choice between two or more feeds, go online or call the company and ask what the specific nutrient levels are in the feeds. They should be willing to provide that info.
Not all nutrients are required to be listed on analysis tags. Regs differ for each species of animal and what is required to be listed.
Vitamins A and D aren't required to be listed but, in my experience, those that do list them tend to have higher levels of those nutrients than competitors.
Most nutrients; amino acids, fat, fiber and minerals are listed as a percentage of total weight. vitamins are listed as international units per pound (IU/LB).

Last edited:
flock raiser and all flock are basically the same thing, low calcium and higher crude protein.

I would say so without looking at the guaranteed analysis tag. Theoretically 'all flock' should have a vitamin balance that can nurture waterfowl.
I've seen grower feed that is basically the same as all flock/flock raiser.
As I said before, it doesn't matter what the mill calls their feed. What matters is the protein(amino acid balance) vitamins and minerals. I've seen great disparities in vitamin content of feeds from different companies that all name them 'all flock'. That's why the name doesn't matter.
For instance, Purina flock raiser has almost twice the level of fat-soluble vitamins as that in one of the lines of Nutrena feed - also called flock raiser. Not to mention disparities in minerals and water-soluble vitamins.

If you have a choice between two or more feeds, go online or call the company and ask what the specific nutrient levels are in the feeds. They should be willing to provide that info.
Not all nutrients are required to be on analysis tags. Regs differ for each species of animal.
Vitamins A and D aren't required to be listed but, in my experience, those that do list them tend to have higher levels of those nutrients than competitors.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom