Best way to feed roosters and hens living in the same coop.

I may have missed it but I didn't see anything that stated how you keep your chickens.
The layer v other feeds is exactly as ChickenCanoe writes. It's one of those it does what it says on the tin answers.
There is an added complication I've found with free rangers who get mealtime commercial feed. Roosters that have hens tend to spend most of the groups forage time keeping watch for predators while the hens eat. When he does dig and find something good he calls his hens, or even picks it up and drops it in front of them. So, ime roosters get less to eat during the daily forage hours and eat more of the commercial feed than the hens at meal times.
The kidney damage is cumulative but ingesting high levels of calcium in a shorter period of time exacerbats the problem.

flock raiser and all flock are basically the same thing, low calcium and higher crude protein.

I would say so without looking at the guaranteed analysis tag. Theoretically 'all flock' should have a vitamin balance that can nurture waterfowl.
I've seen grower feed that is basically the same as all flock/flock raiser.
As I said before, it doesn't matter what the mill calls their feed. What matters is the protein(amino acid balance) vitamins and minerals. I've seen great disparities in vitamin content of feeds from different companies that all name them 'all flock'. That's why the name doesn't matter.
For instance, Purina flock raiser has almost twice the level of fat-soluble vitamins as that in one of the lines of Nutrena feed - also called flock raiser. Not to mention disparities in minerals and water-soluble vitamins.

If you have a choice between two or more feeds, go online or call the company and ask what the specific nutrient levels are in the feeds. They should be willing to provide that info.
Not all nutrients are required to be on analysis tags. Regs differ for each species of animal.
Vitamins A and D aren't required to be listed but, in my experience, those that do list them tend to have higher levels of those nutrients than competitors.
:goodpost:

Know your numbers, check your tags. The "style" (layer, all flock, flock raiser, starter/grower, etc) is suggestive, nothing more. The Nutritional Label is where the educated buyer goes first. Then check the bag for the mill date.

I may have missed it but I didn't see anything that stated how you keep your chickens.
The layer v other feeds is exactly as ChickenCanoe writes. It's one of those it does what it says on the tin answers.
There is an added complication I've found with free rangers who get mealtime commercial feed. Roosters that have hens tend to spend most of the groups forage time keeping watch for predators while the hens eat. When he does dig and find something good he calls his hens, or even picks it up and drops it in front of them. So, ime roosters get less to eat during the daily forage hours and eat more of the commercial feed than the hens at meal times.
The kidney damage is cumulative but ingesting high levels of calcium in a shorter period of time exacerbats the problem.

That's it in a nut shell, with an important peek behind the curtains at flock behaviors as well. One of the reasons I focus on the Met and Lys levels as I do in my flock of 24/7 free rangers is because I can't be certain of what the roos are getting while ranging, and I eat them - so a liitle insurance in the commercial feed helps ensure better table weight come meal time.

So I’d like to get by using one kind of feed for both. I know laying hens have different needs than roosters so my question is: how best to pull this off? Can rosters get by on a layer feed? Should I use a “non-layer” feed and just keep a source of calcium out in another feeder for the girls? I read someplace that if I do that the hens will take what they need and the roosters will show no interest. Is that accurate? Any advice is appreciated.
My roosters get by just fine with layer feed. they keep their weight rather than losing and getting out of shape. They like fermented laying feed keep them nice and plump until the butcher.

My roosters get by just fine with layer feed.
That would depend primarily upon your timeframes and your definition of "fine", though impacted by the calcium quantity of the feed, the type of calcium, the availability on non phytate phosphorous, and certain enzymes which make a portion of phytate phosphorous bioavialable to chickens, as well as what non-Feed things they might be eating.

But its a lot like saying a pack a day smoker is "fine" because their symptoms have not yet progressed to the point of being visibly obvious to casual and unskilled inspection.

All Flock for all birds at all life stages. Free choice oyster shell, free choice grit, and plenty fo fresh clean water at all times. Easy for you, good for your birds.

I agree 98%.

I do use medicated chick starter for my babies, just as a little extra insurance.

I make no attempt to raise either chicks or children in a sterile environment so the bit of extra help against possible coccidiosis(sp?), is, IMO, worth it for the first 6 weeks or so. (either until the bag runs out or until they've been integrated in the main coop for 2 weeks, whichever comes first).

Back
Top Bottom