Best way to keep chickens out of our garden?

Homesteader82

Chirping
Apr 2, 2019
New England
Hi,

We are in the research phase of raising chickens. We're in a rural town; we garden and have several raised beds.

1. What are some suggestions on how to keep them out? Putting a fence around the area may be a little difficult with how the beds are laid out and ease of access for us might be a problem. We're open to suggestions though.
  2. Do they pose a problem once the plants are established? We grow about 20 different plants.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am considering re-designing the garden beds/location (it seems like I keep experimenting) so that they can all be enclosed into an area with fencing.

Should I be concerned with flowers?

Let me see if I have a picture of my raised beds on here. I used a staple gun and put the green plastic garden fencing around mine. I like to think it's enough to deter the chickens. I can still reach or step over it to tend to the plants...

IMG_6614.JPG

So just some posts at the corners of your boxes will allow you to string up a bit of fencing.

Hi,

We are in the research phase of raising chickens. We're in a rural town; we garden and have several raised beds.

1. What are some suggestions on how to keep them out? Putting a fence around the area may be a little difficult with how the beds are laid out and ease of access for us might be a problem. We're open to suggestions though.
  2. Do they pose a problem once the plants are established? We grow about 20 different plants.

I used deer netting! They kept kicking up our seeds and eating all the veggies :(

Back
Top Bottom