Best way to keep chickens out of our garden?

Half of our property is wooded and half is lawn (2 acres total). The coop is going to go into the wooded area (it's fairly open in there, but shaded); would I be better off fencing an area for them to "free" roam in the woods instead of coming onto our property?

Half of our property is wooded and half is lawn (2 acres total). The coop is going to go into the wooded area (it's fairly open in there, but shaded); would I be better off fencing an area for them to "free" roam in the woods instead of coming onto our property?

We did this with our flock, but woodland animals will pick off your chickens, and if something happens you gotta be ready to run through both the lawn and then the forest too, which doesn’t seem like much but those 20-or-so seconds could be the difference between a living and dead hen.

We did this with our flock, but woodland animals will pick off your chickens, and if something happens you gotta be ready to run through both the lawn and then the forest too, which doesn’t seem like much but those 20-or-so seconds could be the difference between a living and dead hen.

Ours also attracted a LOT of mosquitoes, so be ready for that too.

If I fenced off a portion of the wooded area with some sort of deer netting; would that be sufficient protection? The coop would have a totally fenced in area, sides and top, to keep them in the majority of the time, but I'd like to have them run around and enjoy the wooded area that would be fenced off and that fence would movable.

Last edited:
If I fenced off a portion of the wooded area with some sort of deer netting; would that be sufficient protection? The coop with have a totally fenced in area, sides and top, to keep them in the majority of the time, but I'd like to have them run around and enjoy the wooded area that would be fenced off and that fence would movable.

We had netting and chicken wire, but animals would just tear through it or dig under/above, and the chickens couldn’t get away. Then, when the chickens found the holes we didn’t find and patch up, they would run away.

What I'm trying to say is, if I wanted the chickens out of a few hours a day while we were out, would it be fine to let them road in that loose fenced in area? Their actual coop and permanent run would be protected on all sides.

What I'm trying to say is, if I wanted the chickens out of a few hours a day while we were out, would it be fine to let them road in that loose fenced in area? Their actual coop and permanent run would be protected on all sides.

I would advise against leaving them unattended in the forested area, because animals will try to kill them, and fencing them in is just leaving a free buffet for anything that can get in when the chickens can’t get out. If you’re making a big run for them, you might be able to have it right on the edge of the lawn and forest, so you can keep an eye on them and get there quickly if troubles arise.

How do most people let their chickens run free for a few hours while they are out working?

Basically, I want chickens for the eggs and to teach our kids about taking care of animals and to have chores outside. We want the chickens to be able to roam around while we are outside, if we go inside, we'd have them go into their closed off pen. I'd love for them to take care of the slugs, bugs and tickets while they are out.

How do most people let their chickens run free for a few hours while they are out working?

Basically, I want chickens for the eggs and to teach our kids about taking care of animals and to have chores outside. We want the chickens to be able to roam around while we are outside, if we go inside, we'd have them go into their closed off pen. I'd love for them to take care of the slugs, bugs and tickets while they are out.
I personally think they would be fine if you were out there with them. I'm not sure how big your wooded area is, but it would be best to keep them out of there if possible to prevent attacks. We live in a community, and have a little over half an acre fully fenced that we allow them to roam when we're home. When we are away they stay in their run.
I think teaching your kids about chores and raising chickens is wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom