best way to put a chick out of its miserey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What @neo71665 is saying is that when someone (you) decides to keep chickens you need to be prepared what to do when one is injured or ill beyond repair. Death is part of life and there's no getting around it.

Veterinarians offer euthanasia (put to sleep) for a reason, because it is inhumane to let the animal suffer to death.

If you can't find someone to put the poor chick out of it's misery, schedule an appointment with a veterinarian who will euthanize it. You can probably just drop the chick off there, pay your bill, and leave.
okay..... im going to the nearby vet.... on the bright side... at least the rest of the chicks that are hatching and hatched have none of these horrible illnesses.... but there is 2 chicks that are stuck in thier egg.... and im kinda scared if they turn out the same as her....

It may sound heartless, but having animals does mean that sometimes we have to do the humane thing and bring them to a quick end. I would much rather have a quick death than be left to waste away starving. It is incredibly sad, and I can understand your reservations. You do not have to do the job yourself, but you need to make sure it gets done. Friend, vet, whomever. Please don't let that poor baby suffer. 😢 I'm sorry you're going through this.

okay..... im going to the nearby vet.... on the bright side... at least the rest of the chicks that are hatching and hatched have none of these horrible illnesses.... but there is 2 chicks that are stuck in thier egg.... and im kinda scared if they turn out the same as her....
If you need help ask. Someone here will help the best they can. Don't be (too) sad about your chick, as you're doing the best you can. Things happen out of our control and we have to make the choices that are the least painful. I believe you have a good heart.

Last edited:
Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

If you suspect some of the others are stuck, it'd be in your best interest to read over this two or three times. I've been guided by this and still keep it handy anytime I'm incubating eggs. If your chick is stuck and manages to escape, that can cause problems as well. I had one that escaped out of a hole instead of zipping around the egg and breaking it open. With this straining, I 100% believe that caused an issue with her naval and legs. She's OK now, but the outcome varies. It's a good idea to become familiar with all aspects of hatching ( learning about the behind the scenes aspects of incubation are usually studied first but since you're at hatching now, go ahead and dive into this).
There are many amazing folks here that will help, so keep us updated. You may want to start another thread under incubating/hatching to discuss this. I'm cheering for the others to have a successful hatch. I hope the little one suffering won't have to suffer long

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

If you suspect some of the others are stuck, it'd be in your best interest to read over this two or three times. I've been guided by this and still keep it handy anytime I'm incubating eggs. If your chick is stuck and manages to escape, that can cause problems as well. I had one that escaped out of a hole instead of zipping around the egg and breaking it open. With this straining, I 100% believe that caused an issue with her naval and legs. She's OK now, but it's a good idea to become familiar with all aspects of hatching (incubation first but since you're at hatching now, go ahead and dive into this now)
I just came back from the vet and its closed..... god darn it.... my grandma says she cannot cut its head... and told me to put it outside in nature and it will die soon.... but im still not doing that... im gonna go to the supermarket and get some baking soda.... also should i help the chicks stuck in the egg??? i really dont want this thing to happen again... EVER! im not hatching any chicks after this horrible hatch.... i think what happend is that i had way too much power cuts that lasted upto 3 hours... and the second day also a 4 hour powercut.... probably messed with the humidity..... im so pissed now... im actually never ever returning to hatching any chicks ever again

I just came back from the vet and its closed..... god darn it.... my grandma says she cannot cut its head... and told me to put it outside in nature and it will die soon.... but im still not doing that... im gonna go to the supermarket and get some baking soda.... also should i help the chicks stuck in the egg??? i really dont want this thing to happen again... EVER! im not hatching any chicks after this horrible hatch.... i think what happend is that i had way too much power cuts that lasted upto 3 hours... and the second day also a 4 hour powercut.... probably messed with the humidity..... im so pissed now... im actually never ever returning to hatching any chicks ever again
I know that this is still so raw but I've had soooo many failed hatches, poor hatches, and finally I'm feeling better and doing better. I have chosen to look back at those horrible hatches as learning experiences and I learned a lot. There are so many factors that can come into play that will change hatch rates so please keep that in mind.
I'd advise you to read over the link I posted and then reassess

I fold a paper towel over the head, I don't like to look at them.
Holding the paper towel covered head over the trash with one hand and a sharp pair of scissors in the other I snip the neck.
It takes 3-5 seconds.
ill try to do this..... but im afraid that my scissors wont be strong and i would make it suffer to death!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom