best way to put a chick out of its miserey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its too late..... its been 10 minutes and she has died.... i made a little grave and planet flowers on top of it.... this was the hardest thing i did in my life...
You did the right thing. I'm glad it went smoothly. Even if you could have saved her it would be very difficult to take care of her and she may not have survived. :hugs

Having faced this difficult situation the way you did, you will forever be a better animal advocate. Thinking back, you will realize that the actions you took were researched and thoughtful. Even after you were given some poor advice you chose the correct actions. So sorry for your loss. :hugs

It wasn't just the legs. The chick wasn't eating despite trying everything.
No.... the chicken was trying to eat.... but it was falling everytime it wanted to.... the chicken was so strong and healthy.... but it's balance was the issue.... thats why i didn't wanna kill it at first.... you guys made me guilty for life.... i couldn't sleep this night...

hi i have a baby chick who has a balance problem... her legs are weird and she cannot stand at all.... ive not slept for a day trying to get this chick to eat something but nothing worked.... is it okay if i leave her next to me and blow warm air on her until the day she dies of hunger? please help me
No.... the chicken was trying to eat.... but it was falling everytime it wanted to.... the chicken was so strong and healthy....
I know what assumptions lead to but I still assumed "trying to get this chick to eat" would include steadying it or supporting it. I actually pictured far beyond that to hand feeding it at least. We weren't asked how a chick can be helped to eat. We were asked if it was okay to let a chick die of starvation.

No. It isn't. It still isn't.

In the future, though, some of us may be more willing to answer what isn't asked despite it usually being decidedly not well received.

No.... the chicken was trying to eat.... but it was falling everytime it wanted to.... the chicken was so strong and healthy.... but it's balance was the issue.... thats why i didn't wanna kill it at first.... you guys made me guilty for life.... i couldn't sleep this night...
Many chicks that are "failure to thrive" and/or have leg issues can "seem" strong but they are not. I've had chicks with leg issues that would attempt to eat (it's a natural response) but they were failing and needed to be put down.
I understand it's a difficult decision. Not sure how any made you guilty for life, you started a thread asking how to put a chick down - asking that question tells me that you felt it was time to put him/her out of their misery.
You have other chicks that need to be taken care of, focus on them now.

Your thread was titled asking how to put a chick out of it's misery, not how to treat a crippled chick.

I hope your other chicks do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom