Best way to reduce and eliminate flies?

coachmcguirk

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
I have two Rhode Island Red hens in my outdoor coop and their golf-ball sized poop always attract flies. I use pine shavings as bedding in their coop and I change it out once a week. The coop size is 6 x 6 x 6ft. I also let the chickens out of their coop for a few hours a day, but unfortunately, my whole backyard has tiny pebbles covering the ground. I have no open area of soil or grass left. So when my two layer hens poop, their poop doesn't decompose right away.

Would spraying Permectrin all over the bedding and free ranging areas of my chickens help prevent flies from flying overhead?

What should I do?

I have a small flock of hens. There are no fly's yet, but as weather warms up, I will be putting up these fly traps, as well as some of my home-made ones.
1585978836826.png

These are available at Walmart for about $5 to $7
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Thanks, but I have used that method before. Flies do go inside the bag and get stuck, but there are a few "smart" flies that still hover around the chicken run.

Would spraying a chemical called Permectrin on the ground and surfaces prevent flies in the first place? I am worried this type of chemical might cause cancer.

Last edited:
Also, I heard that some types of lavender or rosemary plants will repel flies. Does anybody here have opinions or experience on this?

Thanks, but I have used that method before. Flies do go inside the bag and get stuck, but there are a few "smart" flies that still hover around the chicken run.

Would spraying a chemical called Permectrin on the ground and surfaces prevent flies in the first place? I am worried this type of chemical might cause cancer.
Mine get soooooo filled up.... I think I cleaned out the neighborhood. I also use multiple. The smart flies do get overcome by the temptations:drool:gig

On the subject of questionable chemicals,,,, yes I avoid whenever I can.

Mine get soooooo filled up.... I think I cleaned out the neighborhood. I also use multiple. The smart flies do get overcome by the temptations:drool:gig

On the subject of questionable chemicals,,,, yes I avoid whenever I can.
So unfair tricking the little flies with temptation hahahaha

I use thit same thing around the shed and garage, you always have the one or two that rather buzz your face then go join bob and bill in the tasty trea bag. Flies seem to multiple faster then you can kill them.

I have two Rhode Island Red hens in my outdoor coop and their golf-ball sized poop always attract flies. I use pine shavings as bedding in their coop and I change it out once a week. The coop size is 6 x 6 x 6ft. I also let the chickens out of their coop for a few hours a day, but unfortunately, my whole backyard has tiny pebbles covering the ground. I have no open area of soil or grass left. So when my two layer hens poop, their poop doesn't decompose right away.

Would spraying Permectrin all over the bedding and free ranging areas of my chickens help prevent flies from flying overhead?

What should I do?
Since you only have two chickens can’t you just pick up their poop every day?

Back
Top Bottom