sammi_lynn12

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Grovertown, IN
In about three weeks our youngest chicks are able to go out in the coop and their pen. They will be just under eight weeks old. They currently are not using a heat lamp anymore as of two days ago. I have been keeping them inside our insulated garage, which doesn’t get below 70 degrees yet.

My question is how do I transition them from our insulated garage to their coop which is not insulated. It’s getting down to the 40s at night here now. I don’t wanna shock them but I’m unsure of the best way to get them use to the cooler weather in the meantime. Any suggestions??

Great articles on integrating chicks of different ages to your coop . . . I think the OP was asking (as I am also interested) in the temperature difference introduction.

It is 70 in her insulated garage (as it stays in mine in GA) and getting MUCH colder at night.

I do NOT plan to supplement heat in the coop . . . but should I be concerned about the stark contrast in temperatures.

Moving birds out during the day and back in at night is not as easy as it sounds since I do not have an extra pen to use outside.
I have been leaving the door open in the mornings to try to chill the garage and get them some temperature exposure.

So, when I do put my 9 week old girls in their coop/run outside, should I be concerned about the move from steady 70 degree temps to an environment with high 50/60s and low 20s???

So, when I do put my 9 week old girls in their coop/run outside, should I be concerned about the move from steady 70 degree temps to an environment with high 50/60s and low 20s???

I can't advise you on this because I brood outdoors so my chicks are already acclimated and move them to the main coop for integration at 4-6 weeks depending on how their feathering is going and what the ambient temperatures are.

Some kind of integration pen is necessary for the see-don't-touch period.

Back
Top Bottom