best way to weigh live birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by patandchickens, Sep 16, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I could just go get my little hay scale (aka cheapie walmart fisherman's scale) and a pillowcase [​IMG], but was wondering whether anyone has any better sort of arrangement?

The 'meatballs' are 4 wks old now and I'd like to start tracking their growth so I can get a sense of when the growth-for-feed-eaten relationship starts to head the wrong direction.

Thanks for any ideas,

Pat

2. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I use a postal scale, that I added a perch to.

[​IMG]

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    We put our in a pail, 5 gallon and hold hand over top so they don't try to fly out.

Like the perch. Not sure if the meat birds would be able to do that when larger:)

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok, done! [​IMG] I used a kitchen scale (only goes up to 5 lbs so won't be useful much longer... [​IMG]) inside a plastic bag for cleanliness. The two nearest the door that I grabbed to weigh were not quite 4 lbs at about 4.5 weeks old. They just sat there like blobs and did not try to get off the scale [​IMG]

So I guess I need to keep an eye out at thrift stores for a cheap kitchen scale that goes past 5 lbs. Til then I guess I will have to use the hay (fisherman's) scale but it is soooo inaccurate.

Thanks very much,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by