Best ways to keep predators away?

Brittanygail

Chirping
Mar 11, 2023
A few weeks ago we had a fox come and it grabbed all 4 of our silkies, 2 were babies:( Before we get anymore we want to make sure they are protected. We have installed an electric wire on the top and bottom of our chain link fence now. Should we install something to prevent a critter from digging under? I have also started to see owls and hawks, so we are thinking about putting a net up as well. Any recommendations? Missing chickens badly..

To prevent losses make a coop and run that are predator proof using 1/2" hardware cloth leaving no gaps or opening larger than 1/2" .An apron will keep diggers out. Having a way to lock your chickens down can save the flock from predators that pick them off one by one. Foxes are hard to get rid of once they find your chickens.You can believe it will be back when you get more .Sorry for your loss!

To prevent losses make a coop and run that are predator proof using 1/2" hardware cloth leaving no gaps or opening larger than 1/2" .An apron will keep diggers out. Having a way to lock your chickens down can save the flock from predators that pick them off one by one. Foxes are hard to get rid of once they find your chickens.You can believe it will be back when you get more .Sorry for your loss!
Thank you. Our neighbors have ducks and the foxes have been getting a few of them as well. Think we are going to have to go fox hunting. We will definitely lock them in the coop at night.

A few weeks ago we had a fox come and it grabbed all 4 of our silkies, 2 were babies:( Before we get anymore we want to make sure they are protected. We have installed an electric wire on the top and bottom of our chain link fence now. Should we install something to prevent a critter from digging under? I have also started to see owls and hawks, so we are thinking about putting a net up as well. Any recommendations? Missing chickens badly..

I had that problem years ago.Electric fence all around.24 inch skirt of hog wire and 22 rifle took care of the problem.

Concerning the apron on a run.....can it be regular chicken wire sine it just deters digging or does it have to be 1/2 in wire mesh, as well??
I saw a post yesterday I believe where the neighbor's husky killed all of her chickens. They had 1/2" hardware cloth apron and around the coop but after 5 years of keeping predators out, this dog got in. Even if you think it's overkill, it's nothing you'd want to chance or have to do twice.

Back
Top Bottom