Best Wire to use

slillie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 31, 2012
I'm building a chicken run. I've heard that using 1/4 inch hardware cloth is the best way to go to control rodents from getting inside. Also I'm a bee keeper and have hives several hundred yards from where the chickens will be. Will there be any compatibility problems over the water source in the run? Would love thoughts on what's worked for others. Thanks so much for any help.

Not sure what the best wire to use is. I am using 1/4 inch hardware cloth on the windows of the coop only. It has certainly helped us.
My neighbor has bees he keeps. No issue with the chicken water but they swarmed the water dish I keep for the wild birds in the yard all summer. I added extras to make sure I had enough out so they (the bees) could always have water. I also had to add sticks floating in the water so fewer drowned.

Slillie, when I built my 27X31 Chicken SuperFortress, I used a corner of my wood privacy fence and fronted with Chain Link Fencing- to keep our dogs out. For the top I used 4 foot 2x4 welded wire to keep critters from getting into the yard. For the Coop, I used 2x4 welded wire overlayed with 1inch chicken wire for the Door and front.

Scott LeJeune

I put rocks in the bottom and stuck the sticks in so if a bee fell in it could climb out easier, Kind of like a platter with sticks from the center to hanging over the edges in a few places.
I liked having the bees. My garden did wonderfully this year and the neighbor brought us a quart of honey.

Scott, thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like you did build a fortress. Your design ideas are helpful. Take care..

Back
Top Bottom