Betadine for prolapse?

Urbanforestchickens

In the Brooder
May 13, 2022
Hello, I have a chicken with a prolapse :( I went to the feed store to buy an antiseptic and they suggested betadine, but I'm concerned that it might cause an imbalance in her cloaca bacteria and cause vent gleet. I also have witch hazel. There is no bloody or pecking injury, but there is some black and it didn't wipe off with the rest of the poop so I'm concerned it might be necrotic tissue. Should I use betadine and push it back in, or should I use with hazel? Or maybe both, betadine inside and witch hazel outside to soothe her?

This should answer all your questions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

I can only assume, since you haven;t provided a photo, that the black crust is quite small and limited to an area just inside the cloaca. If it's just a spot a quarter to half inch it will likely heal with not problem.

However, a prolapse has more serious implications. A prolapse means an obstruction, stuck egg or egg material, in the oviduct. That must be treated also as it can be life threatening. My article addresses this.

You could even use warm water with a little dish soap in a spray bottle or cloth to clean her vent. You can soak her in it in a dishpan or sink, too. Vetericyn is fine to use as well, but pricey if you don’t already have it. Many use honey, or a mild cream or oil after cleaning poop away to keep the prolapse moist, so it doesn’t dry out and become necrotic until it stays inside.

Back
Top Bottom