Beware Lancaster Fancy Fowl

Having medicine doesn't mean they are actively selling sick birds, it means some birds occassionally get sick. And when dealing with living creatures, this is unavoidable. As are occassional internal problems.
True, One sick/off chicken and there is some med or meds or supplement or vitamin or something to try.

So in my opinion I think medicine is a good sign that they want to take care of their birds, rather than axe it and call it a day, who knows what it had...

I am a new customer since February. LFF has had production problems this year. The problems were explained to my satisfaction. I like that this is a family, small scale business. -With plenty of interesting breeds and very good quality to the breed that isn't necessarily available with the behemoth hatcheries.

Last edited:
Hi just would like to say I have ordered from LFF on several different occasions and have received beautiful chicks . I have found john to be very nice and helpful when I had a shipment of chicks arrive late and several were dead John didn't quibble he replaced the chicks and it was the post offices fault not LFF. Also cocci and lice are unavoidable part of raising chickens and easily treated and CRD is in 85% of all backyard flocks your birds may not exhibit symptoms and still have it. I am truly saddened to hear these fine people are going out of business it just goes to show that one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.
1f649.png
1f648.png
1f64a.png

First of all they sent me and email saying they were selling the business and was unable to fill my order. Secondly he stated they had a number of set backs that became overwhelming leading to this decision so they are selling the business which means they will no longer own the business . Which means they are going out of business that is not slander it's ridiculous what some people will quibble over!

Also they stated they were in the process of issuing refunds to customers and I should get mine next week. Certainly sounds like they are going out of business.to me.

I just wanted to say as well I sent John and email asking if they had any other chicks in place of the Americauna chicks they were no longer hatching I stated I didn't care about the refund and he sent me and email stating that he would send me some Blue UK Orpingtons I their place even going out of business they are still trying to make their customers happy..

I too spoke to John at Lancaster Fancy Fowl. He said he would refund me but I am waiting for it. The call wasn't dropped, correct, he had to go but never called back. Thats correct and he didn't call back. My birds I bought in October 24th, and then they arrived in April or so, then started dropping dead. I sent one to have a Necropsy to Penn State, since I wanted to know what was wrong with them . They confirmed the chicken had 3 different strains of mycoplasma, and a fungal spore infection acquired at birth and of ourse worms. All of this at the same timde, no wonder they suffered and died. Dr Dunn who runs the Avian lab and is a world renowned research avian veterinarin said I need to find reputable breeder, having this many different diseases at the same time in a chicken is a sign the breeders exposing chickens to not just one, but many viral stains, fungus, worms- too much. Its terrible watching them suffer then die, weak, emaciated with crooked spines, eye infections, runny stools, dehydrayted, its UNGODLY.

I will be uploading all the necropsy reports here shortly, if John doesnt honor the refund . Not ony for sick birds, but I paid for them to be sexed as well. Sure, it's not a perfect science however it's not just one error, it's too many adding up. I forwarded the necropsy report on. I also bought one male, but soon after and more died, the necropsy report came back I had several males. John was nice on the phone, but still hasn't responded to my refund requests since I was only asking for the extra shipping back of 270 despite having the sickest flock of chickens I have ever seen and I have seen it all. They all have runny noses, sneezing, coccidia, one is almost blind since her eyes were swollen shut, I put antibiotics in them and she is a little better but still their all sick, sick birds. I had a brand new coop built too, so there wasn't any risk of this coming anywhere else, this was all from this hatchery. John said he was shutting down to do some other work, not sure what. Religious people hide behind it often, he isn't doing the right thing but still has a chance to by sending me a refund, guess we will see!.

Last edited:
Hi Melanie, getting ready for church here, but I thought I would sneak in a rebuttal to this accusation. I hate to see my religious beliefs attacked or suffering due to people posting negative stuff like this and I believe it's important to defend one's reputation and to uphold your integrity before men. Especially when you are company that strives continually to be fair and honest in business. So here goes. First, I never dropped your call. I asked you if I could call you back because I had a customer show up and you agreed. I called you back twice approximately an hour later, even left you a message, and you never called me back. But here's what transpired in our brief phone discussion according to my memory. You asked me if I received your necropsy report sent to me via email and I confirmed I had and in the course of our conversation you told me you were not so much looking for a refund as much as for some advice on how to rear chickens properly using the right medicines etc. In fact, being a poultry breeder yourself, you told me that you had a lot of struggles in the past (before you got ours) with your birds coming down with CRD and cocci and wanted to know how we deal with these problems as a hatchery. I proceeded to outline for you both conventional and nonconventional methods of treating for cocci and CRD. You were very happy with the advice I gave you and shortly thereafter our negligible chicken talk had to be cut off due to a customer arriving for a pickup. First off, let me dispel the myth that breeders who sell chickens with MG or MS (both pretty much the same thing) are somehow selling sick birds. It is a fact that 95% of all backyard poultry have mg and ms. In fact this is the reason that the national poultry shows across the US don't require testing for it when birds arrive at the shows. And it is said, if they didn't have it prior to showing, after the shows they most definitely do. Thank God, Ideal poultry, the biggest hatchery in America, who was also under attack a couple years back for selling birds with CRD set the record straight about this matter and came out with an official statement acknowledging that they and every other large hatchery in America have MG.

"Ideal Poultry is not MG clean, has never claimed to be and does not intend to be. NPIP does not require a hatchery or farm to be MG clean in the standard program, but does offer a separate MG program that we do not participate in. MG is a very common disease and is in most backyard flocks in the United States. Ideal Poultry supplies some breeders to most of the hatcheries in the United States therefore those flocks are also MG positive. None of the big hatcheries in the United States are MG clean. If our customers who are MG+ (again most of our customers are) obtained MG- flocks it would result in more problems and more sick chickens for them. Therefore Ideal Poultry having an MG clean flock would actually be a disservice to our customers. Ideal Poultry has provided poultry to customers since 1937 and continues to be the largest provider of backyard poultry in the United States, selling over 5 million chickens annually. If you have any further questions, please contact Mikaela Fuchs at 800-243-3257 ext. 5411. Monroe Fuchs, Chairman of the Board Ideal Poultry Teri Adcox Vice President"

Now regarding the fungus thing, fungus grows on feed product when the environment conditions are ripe for it. Factors like high humidity and warmth will encourage fungus spores to grow on food product within hours. However, it's very unlikely that this would have arisen at our facility simply because we have extremely good ventilation practices specifically geared at decreasing our chances of fungus sporation. We have huge industry fans installed in our buildings and also roll down wall curtains that allow up to 75% air flow increase into our buildings. Even looking through these posted comments here, we have customers acknowledging consistently that we run an immaculate facility. So I'm like 95% certain your birds got the fungus either from your place or eating the growgel and moist feed we pack into the box with them while they are shipped to their destination. Here are some promo videos that give you an insider glimpse of our operation:

Secondly, here is why I feel your accusations of us selling you sick birds are unfounded. According to our email records, you sent us an email confirming receipt of shipped birds on March 20th 2015, however, you did not send us an email claiming to have sick birds until April 29th 2015. If the birds arrived sick and in poor condition as claimed, why did you notify us of this over a month later? Also, your business "Shop the Coop" was attacked online both on the BBB and on the Rip-off report. In defending your business, you make a big demonstration of setting the customer straight who attacked you and one of the things you accused them of is "hurting a small business" by writing such a bad review about you. Yet, it seems you have no qualms turning around and defaming our name on the BYC forum.

Lastly, you already filed for a refund through Paypal, now we will have to send Paypal our email proof demonstrating that no evidence was presented to us regarding sick birds until a full month after the birds were in your care. I hope you see where i'm coming from Mellonie. Well, hope you enjoy the rest of your Sun. morning

Sure just refund me. I sent you necropsy reports. I let Penn State know so they can contact you.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom