Beware of chicken wire and chicks!!!

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys, I though I would share my experience with you as a warning, so hopefully this wont happen to you.
For our brooder, we are using a swimming pool, with a lid made of chicken wire screwed onto 4 2x4s. It sat flat on top of the pool and worked great, but as the chicks got older, they got big enough to stick there heads through the wire. We had the wider wire, each circle was probably 2 inches in diameter, thats a guess.
I came to check on them, and took their feeder out to refill it. There was a space were the chicken wire lid hung off the side of the pool, so only a half of the wire circle was over the pool. A chick came over and squeezed her head in the hole to try to peck at the feeder as I put it in. She the jumped off the log she was standing on as I moved over, and her head didn't come out of the hole. Her neck was squeezed between the wire and the pool!
I immediately ran over the her, and pulled the wire back to free her. She fell to the ground and got up seconds later unfazed.
Poor girl! I'm just so glad I was there! If it had happened while I was gone, it would have been a different story. Be careful with small spaces and chickies heads!
I don't have a picture, we took down the brooder yesterday after it happened, since they were getting to tall for it anyway, hence being able to stick there heads through. So these aren't my pictures, but this is a similar setup to what we had, except out lid was a square-
1616871789287.png

Back
Top Bottom