Beware of even the "Good Dog"!!

The other day two of my four week old chicks found their way out of their yard and into the yard with my Golden retriever and my pitbull. We found them both dead, sopping wet but with no marks on them.

My Golden retriever is trained to hunt goose, and is an excellent retriever- but he watches those chicks like they are tennis balls being shot out of a automatic ball machine. Can't trust him at all- we worked too hard on him, trained him too well to expect him not to retrieve them.
My pit is only 1 1/2, he has been through four obedience classes, and when I go outside he looks guilty- lol. However, of my dogs, I would probably be able to trust him the most with my chicks. But, I don't trust him, he is too big, too strong-and one swipe of his paw, even on accident, would kill a young chicken.

The same day, inside my house- my wiener dog managed to break into my brooder. Within seconds- soon as I heard chicks crying- thought one had gotten trapped/stuck/etc somehow, I walked back into the bedroom to see- within seconds- she had slaughtered nine babies. Didn't try to eat them, just bit through their heads. They were all over the bedroom. Pure slaughter. I could have easily killed her at the moment, and put her outside for her safety so I wouldn't. I still cant even look at her. My daughter loves that darn dog, so she stays- but is forever banished from the bedroom. By baby gate. And she barks all night to be allowed in there. She learned nothing by the whipping she got- she would do it again in a second.

Dogs will be dogs, and its my own fault they all died. My fencing has been reinforced with half-inch hardware cloth now. Babygate blocks the little babies. I know dogs will be dogs, but I blame the weiner dog much more than the Golden and Pit. Hers was just slaughter. Pure and simple. I have my own hang ups, because that is the one I can't even look at now, even though she no longer knows why I am upset now.

I know dogs will be dogs, but I blame the weiner dog much more than the Golden and Pit. Hers was just slaughter. Pure and simple. I have my own hang ups, because that is the one I can't even look at now, even though she no longer knows why I am upset now.

Weiner dogs ala dachshunds were bred to be hunting dogs...they were designed in body style to go into burrows and such. She was doing what is natural....hunt it and kill it. I know you are upset with her and will be for quite sometime. I would be too. But it is NOT your fault.
hugs.gif

My little Taco Bell Beast is a sweetie but I do not trust him around the chicks unspervised, they are in their own room. But my almot 12 week old girls will and have put a 6 girl butt whopping on him. so he stays far away from them period.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I think it is safest to keep dogs and chicks apart. But every so often, we all see the photos people post of their beloved patient dog with a cute little chick on its head or back. Those photos may lead beginners to believe that "good dogs" can always be trusted...

Last edited:
O.K. in defense of truly good dogs - I'm going to have to post. Not all dogs will kill chicks and some dogs can most certainly be trusted with them and will defend them to the death - my dog, a GSD, Rex is one of them.

My chickens are total free range - no fences - just Rex to keep predators away. But they all start life as chicks in a box in my bathroom with Rex sleeping in there with them. Amazing that batch after batch has been left in his unsupervised care and each morning every chick is there alive and well and Rex isn't burping feathers. Same for the ducks.

Rex-with-new-babychicks3.jpg

Rex-on-guard5.jpg

Letshaveatalk.jpg

rexsnewbabies.jpg

Just had to add my two cents and pics are worth a thousand words. Rex was not a puppy either when I first got chicks - he was 4 years old. I have just gotten a new GSD puppy, a little female, and I am working with her and teaching her to help Rex guard our farm and chicks and ducks. She has big shoes to fill.

Quote:
I'm sorry you lost one of your birds to your Golden. I almost had the same thing happen when one of my one month old chickens tried to get into his kennel with him after it ran out of its pen when I opened the door and I was trying to catch it. It would have been an accident and I would not have blamed our 8 year old Golden.

Quote:
Lovely photos. My Bernese is like that. She 8 and we never had chickens before but I can totally trust her. I still don't leave her unattended with them but I would trust her. Now, my German Shepherd/Austrailian Cattle Dog is a different story. She thinks chickens are lunch. I can't trust her at all. She must be in the house if I have the chickens out free ranging for awhile. I used to show dogs and have never had as much trouble training a dog as with her. I do love her but no matter how many times I show her a chicken and make her sit stay she always tries to snap at them. I've given up on training her to be near chickens. She just won't be near them for their safety. She just has too much herd/prey drive in her.

I have been lucky..... I have 2 rott's that stay in the backyard in a chain link fence. 1 of those is a total sweetheart and wouldn't hurt the chicks at all, I know this for a fact. He has been tested, lol. The other,Sadie, is a different story. She has already got 2 of my 16 wk olds. I let them free range during the day. My whole yard is fenced in and then the back half is also fenced and that is where the dogs, goats and pig is. She has not managed to kill either of them. First one she got,my children were in the backyard and seen the chick when she went in the pen. If it hadn't had been for there quick thinking she would have killed her. They were able to get in the pen and get the bird and get out before I got back down there. The bird had a few cut's but nothing major. This happened about 2 wks ago. Well Saturday, another one of my 16 wk old went into that same pen, and she caught him. I was there for this one.I knew that I had to get over that chainlink fence and fast or she would kill him, well all 170lbs of me cleared that fence,let me tell you that was a sight to see. I managed to get him out of her mouth and throw him over the fence , the whole time my other rott is all the way over on the other side of the pen just watching. Never once did he try to join in on the chase or anything. Needless to say she got a good butt whipping for that and quiet a few sturn "NO MA'AM". The roo that she got did not get hurt at all (luckly). He is missing a few tall feather's but other than that he is good and back with his flock. Me on the other hand, well I am sporting a couple of nasty bruise's thanks to the fence.

I am so sorry for those of you that have lost your little chicks!
Tiffany

Last edited:
We have four little dogs, pug/chi mix and our little pound puppy these two will not even go close to our chickens. We also have two doxies and I will never allow them to get close because they can not help themselves its only natural. We love our dogs just as much as we love our chickens so they just stay in to different pens and the dog pen has hot wire around the bottom so they are not temped to give it a try.

God forbid a bird dog should hunt birds. It's not the dog's fault the chicken was killed, it's the owner's. As for tying the poor creature up for several days, he'll be so frustrated by the time you turn him loose that you'll lose far more than one bird if he has access to them. Hunting breeds have been bred for centuries to augment their hunting instinct; why would 2 weeks' training by someone who slaps their dog in the face make any difference?

Back
Top Bottom