Beware of Internet Scams

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CupOJoe42, Dec 19, 2011.

1. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Dear BYC Friends,

Please beware of Internet Scams. (Hopefully none on BYC!) I was almost "taken" by one from a person claiming that they wanted to buy some merchandise that I posted on Craigslist. They asked for my personal information and said that they would send me a cashier's check that I could cash (for more than the amount of merchandise sold) and keep an extra $100 for my troubles. They would have a mover come and pick up the merchandise, and remaining $ because they were out of the country on a business trip. What these scam artists do is send you a bogus cashier's check, which you immediately cash at your bank. Days later, the bank discovers that the check was bogus, and charges YOUR ACCOUNT for the full amount of the check. Meanwhile, you are out both your merchandise and the money. I spoke with a friend who is with the FBI and he said that they deal with this scams every day. He gave me the following website to report the incident. Please go to this website. There is useful information out there about how to protect yourself from fraud. Bookmark it, and I pray that you never have to go through anything like this. Unfortunately, we cannot trust anyone in today's world.

Here is the website: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've bookmarked it.
    Thank you for sharing.
    So sorry you had that happen to you [​IMG]

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]
    So sorry it happened to you. [​IMG]

4. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Sorry that happened, but that scam info is listed on craigslist

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Anything that has someone asking for your information unless you are 100% positive who it is should be avoided on the internet. There are plenty of not so nice people out there looking for ways for a free huck. With the economy failing I AK afraid it will only get worse.

6. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Yup, that one has been around for a while now. It's sad, but you always have to double check these days. Anytime someone says they will pay you more then you asked it should throw up a big red flag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by