Scammed by a buyer; what to do?

Pics

Loopeend

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum; could not decide what the right place was to post this.

I need some moral guidance.

I have sold Indian runners. I work with a waiting list. They are high quality. I came in contact with a woman with 3 children that lived really nearby, that requested ducklings. We were talking so much I did something I would normally never do; I wanted to give her the ducklings before ringing because it is so much more fun and good for the bond with the ducks when raised from young at home. Since she lives nearby I can come ring them later on; she could lend duckling-stuff..she would keep me up to date, etc. She was really enthousiatic. I gave her an reduced price (70 euro's instead of 140; the ones she selected were 3 from 20 euro range and 2 from 40 euro range; due to cosmetic faults) because the children were so enthousiastic for them and she kept messaging me they counted the day when they came etc.
She came to pick them up; it was weird. Not like the japping online she did; fast; and she had forgotten her wallet. Since she lives so close; brought her children, I have her phone number, and she told so much personal stuff; I agreed on her offer she would pay this money when I would come ring the ducklings.

A day later I messaged her; How are the ducklings setteling? No response.
A week later; Hey; how do you guys manage with the ducklings? :) No response.
And again.
And again.
And calling and whatsapp.
The day of ringing has gone by; the could not even be ringed anymore.
So I messaged; I feel scammed. You did not hold yourself on the agreements we made. I really want this 70 euro on this bank-account, if I don't see this in a week I will take further steps.
She suddenly replied; Sorry. I have cancer.

I truely feel that this is an awfull excuse. My partners mom is at that moment dieing of cancer; and really; replying with "I have cancer" take the same amount of time then an finger-exercise of making over 70 euro's. I don't know. I have had myself an deathly disease and the first thing after not being able to reply suddenly in sales due to being admitted in the hospital was saying Sorry; pay inmedeatly; or when low energy pay it without even contacting them and apolagies.. I want for myself my contious cleared and don't leave people hanging or thinking I'm a scammer.

Anyway;
I know where she lives. Maybe she does have cancer. But it sounds like an excuse. Ask someone else to set it right and pay for the ducks if your energy levels are so low. Something. I can also see she weekly still does her voluntairy work at the local scouts. Maybe she is sick and hence does not have money.. but she also activaly breed rabbits, pigs, dogs, peacocks and horses; surely you can get 70 euro's somewhere? If your so poor because you are sick and can't work; how on earth can you clean all these animals and pay for their feed?
Some friends say; you need to get over, ring the bell, and politely ask for your money OR the ducks. This is clearly a scam; and she will scam more if you let her get away.
I am more soft-hearted; maybe she does have cancer, I don't want to disturb her anymore then neccesairy; and what is 70 euro's?

I really want to make a choice; but I need other people opinions on what to do to make one.
Would you help please?

This may sound harsh, but she doesn't get to decide whether or not she owes you money - you do. Either the money or the ducklings. You can state this nicely or not, as you choose. But really it's just facts - the two of you made an agreement and she has not kept her part of it, so you either get your money or the ducklings. Give her the chance to do the right thing. No hard feelings, it's just business. I would notify local law enforcement before you go over to her house, though, explain the situation and that you are making an effort to resolve it yourself by going to her house, etc. It's not about the money, it's about people keeping their word, which is far more important, isn't it? And the police may offer to come with you, just as a witness or something. And no matter how this turns out you have learned something important. Let us know how it turns out !!

:hugs

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. It may end up being a hard lesson to learn, or it may end up that she will pay you.

Work with your friends who know the local people and 'customs' ( as you are already doing)-- and I'm sure that the right solution will come to you.

Wish I could help more -- I just wanted to say 'good luck' getting the best results and send you good thoughts from across the sea.

I have no idea what ringing a duck is. LOL And why does it need to be done at any certain time? Apology if it is a dumb question.
:confused:

This may sound harsh, but she doesn't get to decide whether or not she owes you money - you do. Either the money or the ducklings. You can state this nicely or not, as you choose. But really it's just facts - the two of you made an agreement and she has not kept her part of it, so you either get your money or the ducklings. Give her the chance to do the right thing. No hard feelings, it's just business. I would notify local law enforcement before you go over to her house, though, explain the situation and that you are making an effort to resolve it yourself by going to her house, etc. It's not about the money, it's about people keeping their word, which is far more important, isn't it? And the police may offer to come with you, just as a witness or something. And no matter how this turns out you have learned something important. Let us know how it turns out !!
I agree with this^^^. Sure you can feel bad that she is sick, and perhaps she cannot afford the ducks right now. Well, then, she should just return them. I don't know anything about ducks, so not sure if not being able to "ring" them will be a problem in taking them back, but I think you should just on principle.

It is possible that she learned of her cancer right around the time she picked up the ducks and is in a sort of shock trying to sort things out, so I would do this as politely as possible, reminding her that you are trying to run a business and although willing to give her a discount, are unable to just give your ducks away.

Best of luck with this!

..... 70 euro is just over $100 CAD. That's crazy! No way. I'm pretty soft hearted, but seriously, if she couldn't afford them she shouldn't have taken them. And if she found out after getting them that she was sick, she should have returned them. That's a lot of money. You worked to breed your birds to the quality they are. You even offered a discount. I think you may have a hard time proving they were yours though. With all the other animals she has around.

:hugs

I have no idea what ringing a duck is. LOL And why does it need to be done at any certain time? Apology if it is a dumb question.
:confused:

Oh sorry; I might also used the incorrect term; English is not my mother tongue. When you breed fowl over here; in a serious way, you want to put a ring on it (no not like beyonce lol). A ring on the foot which identifies the duck. It's not a MUST. You are allowed to keep unringed ducks (wild ducks MUST be ringed though if you keep them; otherwise it's illegal; domestic fowl you can leave unringed if you wish. Esceped endangered breeding fowl from zoo's you can recognize because they have a ring). But you can't enter a show without it; and I like, for myself; to keep track of every duck leaving here and collect data to be able to breed better; having an unique number on the foot which says europe, country, unique number; is easier then making a spreadsheet of "that certain blue duck" and "that certain blue duck" haha. Also; if the duck might fly away (well.. never happened with runners offcourse..) people can contact you if they find it dead/alive somewhere. If it joins wild ducks; people will spot that ring too; and call; so it will not interbreed with wild ducks. Since the ring is closed; you have to put it on before certain weeks; otherwise their feet are too big and they can't be ringed ever again!
I just can't remember the right English term for it! And now I'm only stuck with "oh, oh oh, oh, oh, oh, I you liked it you should have put a ring on it!" :')

Oh sorry; I might also used the incorrect term; English is not my mother tongue. When you breed fowl over here; in a serious way, you want to put a ring on it (no not like beyonce lol). A ring on the foot which identifies the duck. It's not a MUST. You are allowed to keep unringed ducks (wild ducks MUST be ringed though if you keep them; otherwise it's illegal; domestic fowl you can leave unringed if you wish. Esceped endangered breeding fowl from zoo's you can recognize because they have a ring). But you can't enter a show without it; and I like, for myself; to keep track of every duck leaving here and collect data to be able to breed better; having an unique number on the foot which says europe, country, unique number; is easier then making a spreadsheet of "that certain blue duck" and "that certain blue duck" haha. Also; if the duck might fly away (well.. never happened with runners offcourse..) people can contact you if they find it dead/alive somewhere. If it joins wild ducks; people will spot that ring too; and call; so it will not interbreed with wild ducks. Since the ring is closed; you have to put it on before certain weeks; otherwise their feet are too big and they can't be ringed ever again!
I just can't remember the right English term for it! And now I'm only stuck with "oh, oh oh, oh, oh, oh, I you liked it you should have put a ring on it!" :')
sounds like banding, but more permanent.

Back
Top Bottom