Scammed by a buyer; what to do?

then the only resolution is to get paid. Do you have a “small claims court” over there. It is for lower dollar value type situations such as this. If you have documentation, that should be in your favor.

good luck.

We unfortunately do not have this; nor police that can go with me. That's just not a thing. It does not excist. We want it to excist. Police over here does not have a social function. No sheriffs like I see in movies that knows everyone and also function in social disputes. We have a mayor gap on that point. Which needs to be filled. But it hasn't. And will not soon. We used to have it; a local police officer that knew his part of town or his/her village; but budget-cuts. Gone. I could actually be sooner arrested by being on her terrain.. if she calls the police. Police over here sucks. They are not racist or agressive or tiggerhappy; just really, realy, lame. Belgium and Germany and loads of E.U. countries have better ones.

Please, someone with cancer doesn't use it as an excuse.
That's a damn lie and a poor one at that, kind of insulting to good people that DO have cancer.

What a loser!

Do her like we do coyotes.

Sorce

That's my inner feeling. Thank you for bluntly wording it like that; a thing I can not do. But this is what my feeling is. I myself, have had no cancer, but an other deadly diseace. I have unfortunatly many friends/family members that died of cancer; or at this moment; and they do not behave like this. I think my inner anger comes from what you say. It feels like she does not have cancer; and uses it; and gives a bad name to other people that have cancer. She might actually have cancer; but cancer is not picky.. it attacks good and bad people.. maybe she was a scammer before; now one with cancer. Cancer does not turn you bad; the opposite. Living so close to the end; makes people more show their true selves. Luckely most people are good. They suddenly invest more in human connections, doing right, do runs/walks to gather money for the less benefited, and some suddenly turn to God. They want to make a good impression. They want to leave with the thought everyone still living thought of them as a "good person". I don't believe in the "I have cancer so YOLO let's do everything without any concern towards any people" unless before you already were like that.

We unfortunately do not have this; nor police that can go with me. That's just not a thing. It does not excist. We want it to excist. Police over here does not have a social function. No sheriffs like I see in movies that knows everyone and also function in social disputes. We have a mayor gap on that point. Which needs to be filled. But it hasn't. And will not soon. We used to have it; a local police officer that knew his part of town or his/her village; but budget-cuts. Gone. I could actually be sooner arrested by being on her terrain.. if she calls the police. Police over here sucks. They are not racist or agressive or tiggerhappy; just really, realy, lame. Belgium and Germany and loads of E.U. countries have better ones.

I’m sorry you don’t have this option of a small claims court. I’m a little surprised bc there are many times this type of court can be used, if someone needs it and chooses to go down that path to get their money. Actually, in the USA, sheriff departments and police departments are different, and address different issues mostly, but both play roles in upholding the laws.

I’m sorry you don’t have this option of a small claims court. I’m a little surprised bc there are many times this type of court can be used, if someone needs it and chooses to go down that path to get their money. Actually, in the USA, sheriff departments and police departments are different, and address different issues mostly, but both play roles in upholding the laws.

There is unfortunatley a big difference in "police" all over the world. If I would go solely on what movies and media told me about U.S.A. police; they are either sheriffs that know everyone in their village and help with even gossip; or they are triggerhappy racist black-people shooting for no reason, mustache wearing no-goods. I know that's not true; I mean, I knew this is not true; but being here with more American people; sharing my issues; there replies like it is normal that police would help you? I can recognize the police is different then the police over here. Or something called "small court".

I'm proud of my police because they are not racist, triggerhappy, solve a lot of world-wide internet pedo crimes; but they are just not social. They are not hostile. No bribing. They are fighting with care-takers. I can go on the street now and yell that I want to end it all and I'm Napoleon; the police will come and say to keep it down,do nothing "since we are not social workers"; social workers on the other hand ásk for something that can be arranged for social/mental cases; since they are not police they are not allowed to intervein..sigh. It is a big problem; we had mayor budget cuts due to capilatist ruling (not the same as in the U.S.A terminology is different ). Homes for the eldery got shut down; mental instituitions; more and more people in need of help end up on the street; neither police or social workers are allowed to do something? This has nothing to do at all with the original topic; but I keep running on it when posting something personal; the "just talk to the police". For me personally it is not a thing that excists. I think, all of the negative stuff I hear in the media about U.S.A. police; there are big parts where they actually are way better in. I'm jelly. Please count your blessing and hug your P.O. today; if he/she can and will take the time and effort to help you with "domestic stuff"; awesome. Cherish that.

An unringed (unbanned I guess?) duck is worthless. A duck is never worthless offcourse;
Thank you for explaining. Now I understand. Yes, in the states it is a legband to identify fowl, so I guess we would use the term 'banding' instead of 'ringing'.

Totally off topic, but I think that the Netherlands are wonderful. Lucky me, I got to go to Amsterdam (and some tourist side-trips Delft and Keukenhof) and I loved the land and the people. Maybe because 400 and some years ago some of my ancestors came from Amsterdam to the "New Amsterdam" now New York.

Here's a thought. Regarding ringing.... Perhaps there would still be a way to get the ducks ringed. Here in the US we don't have the system you explained - sometimes I think it would be good if we did, but we are far more casual about our birds. When we put leg bands on sometimes they are just plastic and a different color etc. There are various sizes etc. WE can put the leg bands on mature birds. Would there be a way to take the numbers from the leg ring and glue them on a flexible plastic ring? you may have to snip or file it down and then get some kind of super glue or something to attach it to the plastic band so that particular duck would have the information needed. It would probably look suspicious for a show or something like that, but maybe would work for your own purposes or perhaps for one of your customers.
upload_2019-11-10_18-12-42.jpeg

so the band could go on even after the duck foot is bigger than the ability to slip the legband over the foot.
Some of the metal bands can be attached too -- so perhaps you could get the numbers needed put on a ring that could be attached to the leg directly and bypass the foot. ??
images

Now, turning to the woman who may have scammed you, as one person said, perhaps she does have cancer, she just found out, and she was 'in shock' about it. When there are just too many coincidences, the stories people tell begin to fall apart. First she forgot her wallet, next she suddenly gets cancer.

Perhaps you should contact her, and say since she has cancer, she must want to reduce the chores she has and the amount of work, so you will be happy to take the ducks back (provided there is an alternative way you can ring them and they would have value for you) to ease her burden and make life easier as she deals with her cancer.

And I agree that you proababy want to deal with her only when you have people with you, a friend or relative who will be there for you.

If none of that works, and there is no legal remedy -- And it's interesting to hear you talk about police there compared to here. IMO most places in the USA probably have about the same level of police support that you have over there, from what I've seen, but they will sometimes step in and help.
Also the idea of 'small claims court' -- even here, one could get a judgement in small claims court, but the judgement could be hard or impossible to enforce.

Not knowing how much time has elapsed, I would suggest that you do take some action that can be documented. Seems that there must be some remedy - Maybe Google could help you out -- Put in something like 'in Netherlands someone hasn't paid for livestock they got from me, what remedy'. (except of course translated if Google is in Dutch over there)......Here's what Google translate gave me:
in Nederland heeft iemand niet betaald voor het vee dat ze van mij hebben gekregen, welke remedie '
Maybe some ideas will be brought up -- There must be some way to get your euros.
:fl or maybe your ducks.....
ETA-- I put the translation back in google translate to translate from Dutch to English -- and it said 'someone has not paid for the cattle they got from me" -- I guess it is something to chuckle about as it got lost in translation.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum; could not decide what the right place was to post this.

I need some moral guidance.

I have sold Indian runners. I work with a waiting list. They are high quality. I came in contact with a woman with 3 children that lived really nearby, that requested ducklings. We were talking so much I did something I would normally never do; I wanted to give her the ducklings before ringing because it is so much more fun and good for the bond with the ducks when raised from young at home. Since she lives nearby I can come ring them later on; she could lend duckling-stuff..she would keep me up to date, etc. She was really enthousiatic. I gave her an reduced price (70 euro's instead of 140; the ones she selected were 3 from 20 euro range and 2 from 40 euro range; due to cosmetic faults) because the children were so enthousiastic for them and she kept messaging me they counted the day when they came etc.
She came to pick them up; it was weird. Not like the japping online she did; fast; and she had forgotten her wallet. Since she lives so close; brought her children, I have her phone number, and she told so much personal stuff; I agreed on her offer she would pay this money when I would come ring the ducklings.

A day later I messaged her; How are the ducklings setteling? No response.
A week later; Hey; how do you guys manage with the ducklings? :) No response.
And again.
And again.
And calling and whatsapp.
The day of ringing has gone by; the could not even be ringed anymore.
So I messaged; I feel scammed. You did not hold yourself on the agreements we made. I really want this 70 euro on this bank-account, if I don't see this in a week I will take further steps.
She suddenly replied; Sorry. I have cancer.

I truely feel that this is an awfull excuse. My partners mom is at that moment dieing of cancer; and really; replying with "I have cancer" take the same amount of time then an finger-exercise of making over 70 euro's. I don't know. I have had myself an deathly disease and the first thing after not being able to reply suddenly in sales due to being admitted in the hospital was saying Sorry; pay inmedeatly; or when low energy pay it without even contacting them and apolagies.. I want for myself my contious cleared and don't leave people hanging or thinking I'm a scammer.

Anyway;
I know where she lives. Maybe she does have cancer. But it sounds like an excuse. Ask someone else to set it right and pay for the ducks if your energy levels are so low. Something. I can also see she weekly still does her voluntairy work at the local scouts. Maybe she is sick and hence does not have money.. but she also activaly breed rabbits, pigs, dogs, peacocks and horses; surely you can get 70 euro's somewhere? If your so poor because you are sick and can't work; how on earth can you clean all these animals and pay for their feed?
Some friends say; you need to get over, ring the bell, and politely ask for your money OR the ducks. This is clearly a scam; and she will scam more if you let her get away.
I am more soft-hearted; maybe she does have cancer, I don't want to disturb her anymore then neccesairy; and what is 70 euro's?

I really want to make a choice; but I need other people opinions on what to do to make one.
Would you help please?
What is 70 Euros in the grand scheme of things you ask? It's business, friend. Business is business. She didn't uphold her end of the agreement, you allowed her to take your birds anyway. Regardless of this situation's outcome, I feel certain that you won't do that again. And you shouldn't. You are asking a reasonable price for your birds. If someone wants to haggle or ask for a price adjustment due to a special circumstance, that's up to both parties & should be discussed PRIOR to showing up.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but replying after being reminded of something that she already knows with "I have cancer" is complete bullsheet. Call the Constable, file a complaint, go get your money or your birds... preferably your birds...and be done with this idiot, scammer, attempted-guilt-inducing freeloading liar.

Plenty of people have real health issues,
including cancer, and still manage NOT to lie, cheat, steal and rip off their fellow man.

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining. Now I understand. Yes, in the states it is a legband to identify fowl, so I guess we would use the term 'banding' instead of 'ringing'.

Totally off topic, but I think that the Netherlands are wonderful. Lucky me, I got to go to Amsterdam (and some tourist side-trips Delft and Keukenhof) and I loved the land and the people. Maybe because 400 and some years ago some of my ancestors came from Amsterdam to the "New Amsterdam" now New York.

Here's a thought. Regarding ringing.... Perhaps there would still be a way to get the ducks ringed. Here in the US we don't have the system you explained - sometimes I think it would be good if we did, but we are far more casual about our birds. When we put leg bands on sometimes they are just plastic and a different color etc. There are various sizes etc. WE can put the leg bands on mature birds. Would there be a way to take the numbers from the leg ring and glue them on a flexible plastic ring? you may have to snip or file it down and then get some kind of super glue or something to attach it to the plastic band so that particular duck would have the information needed. It would probably look suspicious for a show or something like that, but maybe would work for your own purposes or perhaps for one of your customers.
View attachment 1956426
so the band could go on even after the duck foot is bigger than the ability to slip the legband over the foot.
Some of the metal bands can be attached too -- so perhaps you could get the numbers needed put on a ring that could be attached to the leg directly and bypass the foot. ??
images

Now, turning to the woman who may have scammed you, as one person said, perhaps she does have cancer, she just found out, and she was 'in shock' about it. When there are just too many coincidences, the stories people tell begin to fall apart. First she forgot her wallet, next she suddenly gets cancer.

Perhaps you should contact her, and say since she has cancer, she must want to reduce the chores she has and the amount of work, so you will be happy to take the ducks back (provided there is an alternative way you can ring them and they would have value for you) to ease her burden and make life easier as she deals with her cancer.

And I agree that you proababy want to deal with her only when you have people with you, a friend or relative who will be there for you.

If none of that works, and there is no legal remedy -- And it's interesting to hear you talk about police there compared to here. IMO most places in the USA probably have about the same level of police support that you have over there, from what I've seen, but they will sometimes step in and help.
Also the idea of 'small claims court' -- even here, one could get a judgement in small claims court, but the judgement could be hard or impossible to enforce.

Not knowing how much time has elapsed, I would suggest that you do take some action that can be documented. Seems that there must be some remedy - Maybe Google could help you out -- Put in something like 'in Netherlands someone hasn't paid for livestock they got from me, what remedy'. (except of course translated if Google is in Dutch over there)......Here's what Google translate gave me:
in Nederland heeft iemand niet betaald voor het vee dat ze van mij hebben gekregen, welke remedie '
Maybe some ideas will be brought up -- There must be some way to get your euros.
:fl or maybe your ducks.....
ETA-- I put the translation back in google translate to translate from Dutch to English -- and it said 'someone has not paid for the cattle they got from me" -- I guess it is something to chuckle about as it got lost in translation.

I'm still chuckling about that translation. It;s just. No. lol. You have to understand that we are living so close, packed on each other; "cattle rules" are outdated. They seem ancient. The rule now is; you can't have cattle or fowl when the neighbours complain. The end.
Same goes for dogs and cats. You can't actually have cattle on your terrain.. it is banned; we wouldn;t want people get their own meat/eggs instead of buying it in supermarkets and not supporting the economy don't we? It has been a debate if it should be made illegal for people to grown their own vegetables.. no jokes...I often don't understand people of the U.S.A, to want to keep there guns; so patriotic is seems.. but on this regard; you indeed should keep your rights to do whatever you please; because getting taking away things happeneds soooo slowly and sneaky.. It's not the guns; it is the right to be able to be self-sufficient.
We are REALLY living close together. I think many people on here will laugh if I would tell how many acres my "farm'" actually is... and how much I paid for it.. It's a driveway.. It's sad. And yes I am planning to move because 600.000 USD for a driveway and calling it a farm is silly; but over here thats a farm! -_- And a driveway in U.S.A. is probably bigger..

It's again off-topic on my own topic; but I like it. It's interesting to learn different cultures and rules.

Those rings you showed; would not work. It needs to be a closed ring. Put on by me; since every ring I order is attached to me personally; to my ID. I was not lyiing you actually get some person over like it is an job-ntervieuw. It is taken really seriously. Otherwise everyone can just glue some ring.. it IS a good system. The least thing we are good at is inventing some rigid system and control it.. like rings (bands). And it works; it does prevent illegal breeding. She can;t sell these ducks for profit; because they are not banded.

How cool your ancestors where from the Netherlands. We are not family; my ancestors where poor farmers for more then 500 years and never had any notion of traveling to the U.S. or slavery; or that it even excisted. There were no papers and such; or people who could read. Untill cough, the 70's. The places you visited were for the 1 percent of rich people in the country. I'm wondering what your forefathers were. They had to live close to harbours; rich or poor. Your welcome to visit again. I like how cool it is how our languages are so close.

Back
Top Bottom