Bielefelder Breeders!

SBFChickenGirl

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2018
Hey peeps!!

I've got some bielefelders that I was planning on showing but now can't due to COVID-19. Still planning on hatching eggs and showing next year. As of now, I'm enjoying my beautiful birds. I was wondering what I should be breeding for in Bielefelders. I know they aren't accepted by the APA, but I was wondering what characteristics others were breeding for. Pictures are welcome! I will be posting pictures as soon as I get some new ones.

This is the official (german) standard for the Bielefelder Kennhuhn
Hope it helps you

Bielefelder Kennhuhn Breed Standard

Origin:
Greater Bielefeld; bred in the 1970s.
Description:
Fast growing, weather-proof, auto-sexing chicken with remarkable performance laying large brown eggs. Down coloring of the day-old chicks:
Cockerels: yellow ocher with light brown dorsal stripes and white barring on the head.
Pullets: light brown with rich dark brown dorsal stripes and small barring on the head.
Overall Impression:
Large chicken with straight and long dorsal lines and obtuse angle; lesser than medium height; preferably no shank showing.
Rooster Characteristics:
Barrel: cylindrically stretched; horizontally carried.
Neck: slightly curved; strong; with full plumage.
Back: long; level.
Shoulders: broad; not protuberant, well-rounded.
Wings: midsize; well closed; carried closely to the body; somewhat arched at the bow.
Saddle: broad; laterally rounded; with full plumage; without pillowing.
Tail: carried at and obtuse angle; coverts wide; covered with medium-length sickles.
Breast: deep and broad; lightly pillowed with good rounding.
Abdomen: full; broad; wide sweeping.
Head: moderately large.
Face: bald; vividly red.
Comb: single; with up to four to six serrated points; upright.
Wattle: oval; appropriate to the crest.
Earlobes: elongated; medium-sized; red.
Eyes: orange red.
Beak: strong; medium-length; yellowish horn-colored.
Shank: short; in large part hidden in side feathers.
Legs: medium-length; bald; yellow.
Toes: straight; well splayed out.
Plumage: moderately wide feathers; slight shank pillowing permitted.
Hen Characteristics:
Conforms to the rooster except for the gender determined differences. Great worth is placed on a deep, broad, and lightly bulged breast area. Broader, fuller, very distinctive abdomen. The long and horizontally carried back merges into an obtuse angle to the tail. In laying hens, a faded yellow of the legs and a lightly flagging comb is permissible.
Disqualifications:
triangular or extremely closed; lighter and narrower barrel; shorter or hollow-rounded back; flat, highly carried breast area; steep tail; over-posture; white in earlobes; abdomen not sufficiently pronounced in hens.
Colorings:
Standard Bielefelder:
Rooster: Neck and saddle feathers, upper back, shoulders, and wing converts deep reddish-yellow with light gray barring. Light gray tint on back allowed. Coverts barred gray, white, and yellow-brown. Breast and abdomen yellow to light auburn with lighter barring, lighter gray traces not flawed. The tail is gray barred, brown traces are allowed.
Hen: Somewhat brightened rust-partridge colored mangle feathers with flaky barring marks, which on the wings may appear as light spotting. Neck feathers gold-colored with shaft lines, through which hinted light gray barring is broken. Breast color reddish-yellow. Yellowish flakes in mantle plumage is allowed.
Disqualifications:
Rooster: gray barred breast and abdomen sections; missing yellow toning in mantle plumage; sootier neck hangings; white wings; one or more pure white sickle feather.
Hen: Strongly pronounced gray tones in mantle plumage; black back of head; black color inclusions in the breast, abdomen, and back areas; other than reddish-yellow breast color.
Weight: Rooster 3-4 kg, Hen 2.5-3.25 kg
Minimum Hatching Egg Weight: 60 g
Eggshell Color: Brown
Ring Sizes: Rooster 22, Hen 20

Translated from the original German standard.

This is the official (german) standard for the Bielefelder Kennhuhn
Hope it helps you

Bielefelder Kennhuhn Breed Standard

Origin:
Greater Bielefeld; bred in the 1970s.
Description:
Fast growing, weather-proof, auto-sexing chicken with remarkable performance laying large brown eggs. Down coloring of the day-old chicks:
Cockerels: yellow ocher with light brown dorsal stripes and white barring on the head.
Pullets: light brown with rich dark brown dorsal stripes and small barring on the head.
Overall Impression:
Large chicken with straight and long dorsal lines and obtuse angle; lesser than medium height; preferably no shank showing.
Rooster Characteristics:
Barrel: cylindrically stretched; horizontally carried.
Neck: slightly curved; strong; with full plumage.
Back: long; level.
Shoulders: broad; not protuberant, well-rounded.
Wings: midsize; well closed; carried closely to the body; somewhat arched at the bow.
Saddle: broad; laterally rounded; with full plumage; without pillowing.
Tail: carried at and obtuse angle; coverts wide; covered with medium-length sickles.
Breast: deep and broad; lightly pillowed with good rounding.
Abdomen: full; broad; wide sweeping.
Head: moderately large.
Face: bald; vividly red.
Comb: single; with up to four to six serrated points; upright.
Wattle: oval; appropriate to the crest.
Earlobes: elongated; medium-sized; red.
Eyes: orange red.
Beak: strong; medium-length; yellowish horn-colored.
Shank: short; in large part hidden in side feathers.
Legs: medium-length; bald; yellow.
Toes: straight; well splayed out.
Plumage: moderately wide feathers; slight shank pillowing permitted.
Hen Characteristics:
Conforms to the rooster except for the gender determined differences. Great worth is placed on a deep, broad, and lightly bulged breast area. Broader, fuller, very distinctive abdomen. The long and horizontally carried back merges into an obtuse angle to the tail. In laying hens, a faded yellow of the legs and a lightly flagging comb is permissible.
Disqualifications:
triangular or extremely closed; lighter and narrower barrel; shorter or hollow-rounded back; flat, highly carried breast area; steep tail; over-posture; white in earlobes; abdomen not sufficiently pronounced in hens.
Colorings:
Standard Bielefelder:
Rooster: Neck and saddle feathers, upper back, shoulders, and wing converts deep reddish-yellow with light gray barring. Light gray tint on back allowed. Coverts barred gray, white, and yellow-brown. Breast and abdomen yellow to light auburn with lighter barring, lighter gray traces not flawed. The tail is gray barred, brown traces are allowed.
Hen: Somewhat brightened rust-partridge colored mangle feathers with flaky barring marks, which on the wings may appear as light spotting. Neck feathers gold-colored with shaft lines, through which hinted light gray barring is broken. Breast color reddish-yellow. Yellowish flakes in mantle plumage is allowed.
Disqualifications:
Rooster: gray barred breast and abdomen sections; missing yellow toning in mantle plumage; sootier neck hangings; white wings; one or more pure white sickle feather.
Hen: Strongly pronounced gray tones in mantle plumage; black back of head; black color inclusions in the breast, abdomen, and back areas; other than reddish-yellow breast color.
Weight: Rooster 3-4 kg, Hen 2.5-3.25 kg
Minimum Hatching Egg Weight: 60 g
Eggshell Color: Brown
Ring Sizes: Rooster 22, Hen 20

Translated from the original German standard.

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! I will be using this.

You're welcome! Good luck with showing your animals! I have 3 Bielefelder myself... they are wonderful.
I am breading Sulmtaler for show myself. Sure hope the shows are happening. This year would be my first year showing. Some of the larger poultry shows have been canceled for next year already. But I'll keep breeding... you just never know what is going to happen.

You're welcome! Good luck with showing your animals! I have 3 Bielefelder myself... they are wonderful.
I am breading Sulmtaler for show myself. Sure hope the shows are happening. This year would be my first year showing. Some of the larger poultry shows have been canceled for next year already. But I'll keep breeding... you just never know what is going to happen.

What age did your hens start laying if you don't mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom