Bielefelder thread!!!!

Pics
@BlueBaby how are the chicks doing out in their grow out pen?
All 6 of them are doing fine. They got some wet grower feed with some vitamin and minerals today, and went crazy for it. The adults got some too. The broody is still in her broody breaking cage, so I got 8 eggs out of 9 hens today.

I start lockdown on my incubator on Wednesday for my next hatch.

@BlueBaby how are the chicks doing out in their grow out pen?
Took my cell phone out there and just took this picture. Some of the girl's are down at the other end, as they are spreading out more in there now.

April 2 2023 chicks.jpg

I got 8 from Omega Hills, 4 male, 4 female and 2 more pullets from a hatchery. We lost one of the pullets recently. I don't know from which group.
Saw these posts and I’m just ecstatic- I’m diving in deep. This group is the only one who would appreciate this and I just have to tell someone😁😁 Kicking off my first breeding program with Bieles. And a serious-ish program in general. Within the week I’ll have some from Greenfire and some from Omega Hill. It’s going to sound crazy, but I’ve not had Bieles but I’ve had um… most of all the other breeds. Hubby said I can finally really go for it 🥰 After much research and consideration I’m getting Bieles- just think it’s the right fit. I’ve always had big girls. Gentle giants In general. I have an affinity for barring, an affinity for gold (I have 2 GCM ladies and a fella). Sex-link? I mean it’s check check check.
I’ve been an avid reader and stalker on BYC for the past 5 years or so and decided it’s time to join the fracas. I can’t even sleep 😊🐣

@ProbablyChickenRelated, welcome! You know now that you've mentioned your program, you are REQUIRED to tell us all about it, and post lots of pictures, right? :)

Biels check all the boxes for me, too. I'm only getting 3 pullets, as I want to make sure they are a good fit. I'm hoping they will be, as I'd like to hatch my own chicks eventually, and autosexing is a huge bonus.

I won't be getting rid of the rooster I have (Chantecler), but when he's gone, if Biels work out the way I hope they will, I'll be getting a Biel boy.

@ProbablyChickenRelated, welcome! You know now that you've mentioned your program, you are REQUIRED to tell us all about it, and post lots of pictures, right? :)

Biels check all the boxes for me, too. I'm only getting 3 pullets, as I want to make sure they are a good fit. I'm hoping they will be, as I'd like to hatch my own chicks eventually, and autosexing is a huge bonus.

I won't be getting rid of the rooster I have (Chantecler), but when he's gone, if Biels work out the way I hope they will, I'll be getting a Biel boy.
I'm really happy that I sold the other breed that I had and switched over to just doing these Biel's. Hatching is so much easier to tell the sexes, and they are a nice breed too.

I have a small flock of 3 2-year old hens (Speckled Sussex, Olive Egger, Dominique). And last week I picked up 3 baby chicks...a Ameraucana, s Easter Egger, and a BIELEFELDER! I named her Bielee. She already is bigger than her sisters and a big sleepy head in my hand! :love
Wondering how big they really get. I don't have any giant breeds. Will she fit in my 12" nest box? Will she fit through my coop and run door what's 8"x10"?

How much does your Bielefelder hen weigh?

Attachments

• 20230331_112445.jpg
    20230331_112445.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230401_110804.jpg
    20230401_110804.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 6
All 6 of them are doing fine. They got some wet grower feed with some vitamin and minerals today, and went crazy for it. The adults got some too. The broody is still in her broody breaking cage, so I got 8 eggs out of 9 hens today.

I start lockdown on my incubator on Wednesday for my next hatch.
How long do you find a broody needs to stay in the cage to break the broodiness?

How long do you find a broody needs to stay in the cage to break the broodiness?
That depends on how far along she is in the broody process. If you can catch her right at the beginning, it's better. If she's already been broody for a few day's and is deeper in it, it can take longer.

I have a small flock of 3 2-year old hens (Speckled Sussex, Olive Egger, Dominique). And last week I picked up 3 baby chicks...a Ameraucana, s Easter Egger, and a BIELEFELDER! I named her Bielee. She already is bigger than her sisters and a big sleepy head in my hand! :love
Wondering how big they really get. I don't have any giant breeds. Will she fit in my 12" nest box? Will she fit through my coop and run door what's 8"x10"?

How much does your Bielefelder hen weigh?
Mine are pretty good sized, although I haven't weighed them. I guess it all depends on what the people that are breeding them are breeding for. Some will breed for bigger size, while other's will breed any and all of them. Some will even breed them for what shade of the brown egg is that they lay. My nesting boxes were built over sized then the normal, but I have caught 3 hen's all in the one nesting box the other day. When they finally got out of it, there were 3 egg's plus the 3 white ceramic egg's in there. I used the white fake egg's, because the Biel's lay brown. I also have a big doorway that they let themselves in and out of the secure attached run. I also keep a padlock on the coop door that I go in and out of.

That depends on how far along she is in the broody process. If you can catch her right at the beginning, it's better. If she's already been broody for a few day's and is deeper in it, it can take longer.
I assume you supply food & water in the pen & let her stay in there overnight (or more)?

I was prepping the grow out pen & thought I could use it in the meantime for my broody girl.

Attachments

• 20230405_172326.jpg
    20230405_172326.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom