I tried hatching 6 but only one hatched and something got ahold of it before I got to see it :rant...I will try again next year. I am actually thinking of trying to raise some to sell as pasture fryers, but that would be down the road.

Those are all good points! I actually will never raise CCLs, I think hens look silly with their little top hat And the roosters white earlobes look funny as well. Blue eggs are fantastic, someone in my area raises Silkies who poop blue eggs but that's as close as I'm willing to get. Too much bad blood with Biele/CCL flocks anyway, there are plenty CCLs and I'm proud to own standard Bieles :)

Ironically, I've preordered one each of both Bielefelders and Crested Cream Legbars for spring 2019...excited for the Bieles as I've never had them before (actually had never heard of them prior to researching for my spring 2019 order). Everything I'm reading about them reminds me of my barred rocks (my current favorite breed) so I'm looking forward to experiencing them firsthand next year.

View attachment 1523207 View attachment 1523205
[Pic 1: Left is an 11 week old cockeral, middle/right are 15 week old pullets
Pic 2: 1yo rooster]

I love my Bielefelders, my pullets are gorgeous and friendly and my cockerel and rooster are absolute eye-candy that can also get the job done. I am seriously stumped as to why this breed isn't more popular!

Who else has these birds? For those who considered them but don't own any, why not?
Looks like I got saddled with a Bieldefelder cockerel as a "free surprise chick" that I didn't ask for with my hatchery order. I am not allowed to have roosters within the city limits. I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how old I should let him get before butchering him for eating purposes? I have 21 Big Red Broilers who should be ready for harvest at 12 to 14 weeks, but this one isn't bred to grow quickly, so I am assuming he will have to wait awhile longer. That's too bad because we will only have the borrowed equipment once! The photo shows my Bieldefelder cockerel standing next to one of the Big Red Broilers... and believe it or not, they are the same age! I call the meat birds "Chickensteins" because they are growing monstrously fast!

My research into the breed makes me think I'd love a Bieldefelder hen at some time in the future....

Attachments

• bielefelder.JPG
    bielefelder.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 0
Yup!! We raise Bielefelder capons for meat. Helps that they are so gorgeous ;)
Could you tell me the ideal age for harvesting a Bielefelder cockerel for meat? I was given a "free chick" in my hatchery order, and I am not allowed to have roosters in the city limits. I'd never heard of the breed before, but they sure sound interesting.

View attachment 1523207 View attachment 1523205
[Pic 1: Left is an 11 week old cockeral, middle/right are 15 week old pullets
Pic 2: 1yo rooster]

I love my Bielefelders, my pullets are gorgeous and friendly and my cockerel and rooster are absolute eye-candy that can also get the job done. I am seriously stumped as to why this breed isn't more popular!

Who else has these birds? For those who considered them but don't own any, why not?
I'm thinking of ordering Bielefelders now. Do you still like yours?

I was considering beilefelders for my first flock but went with a different breed. I am definitely going to look into these guys in the future though. However I have heard some chatter on this forum that they start having health problems after a few years.

Those are all good points! I actually will never raise CCLs, I think hens look silly with their little top hat And the roosters white earlobes look funny as well. Blue eggs are fantastic, someone in my area raises Silkies who poop blue eggs but that's as close as I'm willing to get. Too much bad blood with Biele/CCL flocks anyway, there are plenty CCLs and I'm proud to own standard Bieles :)
Do you have any interest in getting the Bielefelders accepted into the APA?

Back
Top Bottom