Big Big woops!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greathorse, Jan 3, 2010.

1. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I was loading the 1202 this morning as I have beens saving the RIR eggs for about a week now. As I was sliding them in something happened and the rack fell from my hand, needless to say 48 broken eggs. Well 44 but I think the others were likely jarred so decided not to set them. Should have had the coffee first.

This was to be sort of a fertility test as these are fairly young, but have been laying for about 8 weeks. I did get to look at a lot of yolks as I discarded them and the fertiltiy was very very poor so maybe not the worst thing that could have happened. I also lost about 8 Wheaten Marans and the fertility on those was pretty good

Oh well.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oh no!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Oh no! I'll definitely try not to do that with my eggs.... Shipping was like, 35 dollars! D: im sorry you lost your Marans!

5. topeka

topeka Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Ouch!

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh my! That must have been a major pain to clean up, too.

Sorry, I hate it when things like that happen.

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    As we used to say when mining for gold. You are not a true miner until you have dropped a 2 ounce glass container on a rock in the river. I guess you are now a true egg hatcher. Sorry to hear about the eggs.

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Clean up really sucked. Reaching the back of those cabinet incubators is a pain as it is, but getting all the egg goo took some doing. Fortunately none of the eggs were shipped, but still a bummer I have been saving eggs for about 10 days now.

I did not lose my rack of SLW and BLRW so they are in there cooking now.

9. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I feel your pain. My fumbly fingers drop stuff all the time and it is frustrating. I dropped a "shipped" Champion, wait, "Champion" Silkie egg my 8 y/o bought all by herself, it was 4 days from hatching, and was the splash she was hoping for. Needless to say, the only one that DID hatch was white and deformed. Note to self..............get younger fingers to handle eggs, not that that was your problem, it's just my excuse. I am crossing my fingers your other tray hatches 100% Henz

10. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Sorry to hear...thats a lot of breakfast on the bottom of the bator...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by