Big black cat sighting

MagsC

Queen Of Clueless
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
Well, back from my parents and had an interesting weekend....
My nephews, age 11 and 7 were staying there was well. Yesterday my father was showing them his firearms (minus bullets of course, he always hides the guns well and doesnt keep the ammo in the same place. EVER. He never has.) when I heard my oldest nephew ask about an animal he saw while looking out the window. My father looked and said he thought it was the size of a bear cub...by this time I was curious!! I went over to the window to catch seeing the back end of a black animal with a long tail.
Over the years family members have seen these big black cats, bigger than a bobcat but smaller than a cougar. What they are, who knows? I did talk to a guy in Texas once that said they have them in the big thicket of Texas and surrounding areas and they call them river cats. How true that was, I dont know.
My father took the boys over there to look for tracks and found some pretty big cat tracks.
My mother and I were talking, wondering why an animal would be so close to the houses (this is a small group of 7 houses), and thought it was either sick or very hungry.

I watched a show about that on Discovery. There's "supposedly" a gene in cougars (mountain lion) that's taking place and is causing them to be black instead of brown.

Thats interesting. I know there have been cougars sighted in the area so its not beyond the realm of possibility that there are turning out to be black (or probably actually really dark brown ones).
What we have noticed though, like I said, is that they seem to fall midway between bobcats and cougars in size.'
I think I recall something like that on Discovery too.

There are no such things as black moutian lions. Never ever EVER has there been a documented case of a black moutain lion (panther, cougar, whatever you want to call it they are all the same animal in north america). Seriously not one has ever been shot or ran over or found dead. The big black cats that are on tv are leopards or jaguars. You would have a better luck finding bigfoot than a black mountain lion.

Yes, I know all the stories. Everyone's brothers uncles cousin Joe Bob was out coon hunting one night and saw one and it screamed at him. LOL Also I realize that not everyone that thinks that they saw one are liars or fools but peoples mind and eyes can play tricks on them. They are not seeing what they think they are seeing. Most sightings are at night, at a distance, in the shadows ect.

Also it is possible that an escaped exotic cat could be seen by someone but with all the sightings of black panters there would have to be a truck load of escaped leopards and jaguars running around. Also in the extream south west it might be possible to see a jagarundi (sp?) but these are quite a bit smaller than a moutian lion.

Until I see real evidence like a dead cat or one that has been captured and DNA test confirms that is a north american moutian lion, I will not believe that these animals are around simply because there is absolutly no real proof that they do.

Sorry, if I stepped on anyones toes.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom