Big butt hen

bertman

Songster
8 Years
May 13, 2011
One of our Ameraucanas has developed a very large 'sweep' (I think that's what it's called--that spot on her back just in front of her tail) in the last two days. It is twice as big as it was a day or so ago--big and standing up high. Some of the other girls have the same prominent feature but not nearly as large as hers.

We think that she's the only one of our eight-month old pullets who is not yet laying. That makes me wonder if there's anything wrong with her or if this enlarged sweep might be a sign that she's about to lay.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks.

I think I know what you're talking about.
tongue.png

A couple of our pullets got that just before they started laying, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it - you might be best waiting for someone who knows what they're talking about.
wink.png

Look for signs of squatting - it's a more reliable method of determining imminent start of laying.
old.gif

I noticed my Easter Egger/Amercaucana hens' butts get fluffier and bigger as they came into lay. Their little pea combs also got redder and they hang more, um, shall we say, let the Roo do it to 'em....

This is getting as bad as a rap song.....
lol.png
lol.png

Thanks for the answers. She is the only one who has not yet squatted. She's also the biggest of the EE's.

It's not that her butt is wider, it's just that the hump of feathers at the base of her tail is much bigger and rounder than I've ever seen it.

Yes, I have a BR we bred that has that "up sweep" feature in front of her tail. I'm not a fan of the look. I'll probably not return her to the breeding pen in a year. (We only use slightly older hens for breeding) That said, she's is wonderful in personality and the best layer of her hatch mates. I don't know whether this up sweep feature is considered a serious fault or not.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom