Big difference in size but they are the same age

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BryceR, Nov 20, 2013.

1. BryceR

BryceR Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    El Mirage AZ
    I got these two at the same time and I think they are about 8 weeks old as of this week. The smaller one is a little more than half the size of all the other chickens. She eats as much as she wants and she doesn't seem to be anywhere close to the bottom of the pecking order. Is she going to fill out or always be small?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    She'll probably eventually catch up.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chickens are just naturally unthrifty; they may act normal and live happily but just don't get as big as the others. I once had a chick like that--she lived for 12 weeks, at the same size as a 4-week old, but died suddenly of an unknown cause. But as long as your chick acts fine otherwise, she should still be a great hen, and may eventually catch up to the others in size. Here is a link to an interesting thread on a similar bird: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...will-not-grow-update-hes-found-a-forever-home

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Are you planning to use these chickens as meat birds? If not, the size really doesn't matter much.

5. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    I've had one particularly small one. She did grow to normal size and lays faithfully but is definitely slow mentally. But it's cute and she's a sweetie. So she may catch up in size.

6. BryceR

BryceR Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    El Mirage AZ
    I dont plan on eathing these ones I was just curious. Shes the friendliest one I have and she'll peck the bigger ones out of the feeder all the time. So shes pretty feisty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by