Big enough coop for 5 laying hens?

RIR85

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
I have 5 RIR chicks that will be ready for the coop in about 4 more weeks. Curious if this is big enough? I do have material and little bit of time to make bigger. but if this will work I wont mess with it. They will be able to roam big yard once a day. The coop is about 2 1/2 feet deep 4 foot wide 4 foot tall

I can't answer your question, with any authority. It looks big enough, to me. But, I'll let those in the know, give a more definitive answer.
But, I REALLY like the design of your coop. I am about to build a second coop and pen, and I think I may do a take off of that design. It will be my first build, but if think it looks efficient. I likely have a great deal more room than you, so, I can build it much bigger, but I think it reflects a good design.

I started out with 4 girls in a tractor. They were sex-links and were good sized girls. I think your RIR's get to be fairly large, don't they? My tractor had an enclosed coop area of 4 x 4 ft. = 16 sq. ft. It was plenty big enough at night when they were roosting or when they went in there to lay eggs. We only noticed lack of space in bad weather - when we got extended rain and when the snow hit. Don't know where you live so don't know how much of that you'll experience.

We ended up covering the wire run with a tarp during extended rainy weather so that they could be outside without having to stand in the rain 24/7. When snow hit, we enclosed the wire run with plastic so that they'd have some space to scratch in.

You've got a solid tractor there but if you can add more space, you might want to. Especially if you're in an area where weather will be a factor.

Thank you for your compliments everyone. And I live in Moses Lake, Washington. Cold winters average in the teens and not A LOT of rain. but descent amount. hot triple digit summers. I guess I'll let them get used to the coop and if need more space when there older i'll make them more space.

It's really cute, but too small. Big birds need at least five or six square feet each in the coop, and RIRs tend to be a bit more aggressive than some. The run should be about 10 sq ft for each bird in addition. That coop will work for a very short time for 5 birds; if you can build bigger, please do. Mary

Also, I don't see windows. Ventilation is absolutely essential; one whole side could be opened up. Chicken wire keeps chickens in; it will not protect your birds from predators! Mary

Great design. I agree though that ventilation is needed and if you can build it bigger it definitely wouldn't hurt. I have 1 dark RIR and she is the most pecky of all my babies. They might get a little aggressive if they don't feel they have enough space.
The black thing attached to the door, is that a feeder of some sort?

First timer here and I have plenty time to improve. Yes I am beginning to go bigger, it'll happen for sure. There is a window in front above nesting boxes. It is about 12 inch tall and 18 inch wide. figured during day i could open that and have door for run open as well and that'd give good draft threw coop. The dark thing on door is feeder out of 4 inch pvc. seen on internet and saves space as well as cleaner food. Also have pvc waterer with poultry nipples works great but have to teach them to use it when older. Thank you for comments BYC friends.

Back
Top Bottom