1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Big hawk sitting on the corner of my coop.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jeeper1540, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

I just got home from town, and just parked the car, when i saw out the windshield a hawk sitting on the corner of the chicken run. i jumped out of the car and jumped on the quad (which has a flat tire right now, but i was so worried i forgot) and i raced donw to the coop. i got pretty close before the hawk finally decided to get up and fly away. all the chickens and ducks were hiding in the coop, but came out slowly when i got there. then bunch of little birds (probably around 30) flew out from under some sheet metal i had laying on the ground/against some brush. i guess they were hiding too. i was just worried, a couple months ago i lost a chicken to what i think was a hawk, so he remembers where i live, where i live, i fortunately only have to worry about hawks and owls (sometimes stray dogs) but no weasels, raccoons, etc. Just wanted to share.

2. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    try tieing a few cds out there it really works I also have hung a cloths line by my coop and move an old sheet around makes a scarecrow...

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

what do the CD's do? just the shiny scares off the hawk? wouldnt it bother the chickens too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by