Big Red BIG MOUTH

Thunderduck9

Songster
Dec 2, 2017
N.E. PA
Good morning,well now that I have been initiated into chickens I have a lot of questions.Lets start with my rooster Big Red he is a Rhode Island Red I think,and he has two hens and 10 ducks to keep company but he yells all day long intill the ducks come home,but lately he just yells all day long once I go in the house even when the ducks are in the pen with him,its a big pen two big houses an inside pen 10x20 and an outside pen 12x20 with three small houses in it they are all connected so they have plenty of space a kiddy pool 4 water bowls 2 food bowls a big pertching table.So what is his issue.

Good morning,well now that I have been initiated into chickens I have a lot of questions.Lets start with my rooster Big Red he is a Rhode Island Red I think,and he has two hens and 10 ducks to keep company but he yells all day long intill the ducks come home,but lately he just yells all day long once I go in the house even when the ducks are in the pen with him,its a big pen two big houses an inside pen 10x20 and an outside pen 12x20 with three small houses in it they are all connected so they have plenty of space a kiddy pool 4 water bowls 2 food bowls a big pertching table.So what is his issue.
It sounds like he needs more hens. Two aren't enough for a rooster.

He's a rooster. They make noise. More hens likely aren't going to fix that. The number of hens per rooster is not necessarily accurate for keepers of small chicken flocks. It's the ratio used in large hatcheries to ensure optimum fertility. If his "yelling" bothers you, maybe you want to rethink owning a rooster.

BBB5ED56-90CD-4492-82BE-86EFB4999876.jpeg
D0541BF7-9B4A-4F86-A3CC-293A44AFF061.jpeg
O by no means does he bother me I was just worried I was doing something wrong and it was bothering him.I have ducks so chickens are a new thing for me just trying to get it rite for the chickens.Big Red is a character he is an older rooster that was kept in a little 5x5 closed pen with 2 hens for years so maybe he is just happy he has a big outside pen and company to play with all day.They are very nice chickens.

Back
Top Bottom