Big Scare

MinnDuck

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
I've been using milk jugs and cool whip bowls as waterers for our ducklings with success the past few weeks and today used a large clean mayo jar (plastic) similar to what I would a milk jug with holes in the side. Well, when we were gone this evening, one of the pekins nocked it over and got trapped inside and scraped up his back side good. Got a lot of the yellow fuzz on his back off and bright red in a few spots. I cleaned him really well under some cold water and then toweled him off. He seems physically fine other than that. Any thoughts on what to do in a situation like this. Any long term effects? Or how to prevent them besides just keeping him clean. Sick to my stomach. Not going to use those types of containers anymore. Jugs or jars with holes cut in the side. The cool whip ones seem to still work OK.

MinnDuck

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 29, 2014
Update. I think it looked worse at first. He's all dried up and he didn't lose any fuzz really. Just looked like it when he was wet. The worst appears to be the "elbows" of his wings and under them a little. Red areas but I'll keep an eye on them and clean them daily maybe if its needed.

TracyLovesDucks

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Northern Colorado
Sounds like quite the scare! I'm glad to hear he's doing ok, whew
big_smile.png

Top Bottom