Bill care for the county fair

ChicagoDucks

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2012
Chicago
Any tips or advice for getting a duck's bill to look its best for the fair? My daughter is taking our 1 year old KC drake to the fair in August. He has a handsome blue bill, but sometimes he gets some yellow flakes on his bill. Do they make chapstick for ducks?

I'm sure that the flaking wouldn't really hurt his chances of doing well, but I might try some Vaseline or oil on his beak. Just rub it around well, wipe of the excess, and leave him alone. I would apply this one or two times a day if he is having problems. Also, make sure his diet contains enough minerals to ensure a strong beak. Maybe get him some poultry vitamins and put them in his water or feed, just to make sure he is getting adequate nutrition.

Good luck to your daughter!

I'm sure that the flaking wouldn't really hurt his chances of doing well, but I might try some Vaseline or oil on his beak. Just rub it around well, wipe of the excess, and leave him alone. I would apply this one or two times a day if he is having problems. Also, make sure his diet contains enough minerals to ensure a strong beak. Maybe get him some poultry vitamins and put them in his water or feed, just to make sure he is getting adequate nutrition.

Good luck to your daughter!

Thank you BL21!! We appreciate it. We'll give it a try.

My daughter puts an ointment or oil on her duck's bill and legs/webs every day leading up to the fair, just as you would on a chicken's comb, wattles, feet and legs. We use Lansinoh lanolin ointment, A&D ointment or olive oil because those are what we have around.

My daughter puts an ointment or oil on her duck's bill and legs/webs every day leading up to the fair, just as you would on a chicken's comb, wattles, feet and legs. We use Lansinoh lanolin ointment, A&D ointment or olive oil because those are what we have around.
Thanks, BattleSyrup. We'll give it a try. I've got olive oil sitting around the house. We'll start with that! We may still have some old lanolin ointment from way back--I'll have to dig around the medicine cabinet.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom