Bingo Egg Hatch-a-Long

Sorry you lost the 4😔. Keeping my fingers crossed for Minty and Sprinkles. Glad your others are doing well though! Nice to know that you could see a little bit into the darkest eggs as well - a couple of mine were so dark it was as if I had set a tiny black hole onto my light😆

Sorry you lost the 4😔. Keeping my fingers crossed for Minty and Sprinkles. Glad your others are doing well though! Nice to know that you could see a little bit into the darkest eggs as well - a couple of mine were so dark it was as if I had set a tiny black hole onto my light😆
I was genuinely surprised that I could suddenly see into them. I only gave them a cursory glance at first because I remembered not being able to see anything. But it's good to know for sure that something is happening inside 😂

I'm apparently a day late for my "day 17" check up. (I spent all day yesterday thinking it was Wednesday, and it turned out it was Thursday, so lockdown has started a bit late, whoops)

Some interesting updates today.

So, Rocky Road, my last copper maran egg. Not looking good. I shouldn't be able to see this much by day 18!

Notes: I didn't crack any eggs open today, I'm hanging onto them away from the other eggs "just in case," but I'm pretty darn confident Rocky Road is a no-go.
received_955663121890030.jpeg

Neopolitan is next, and... something friggin weird has happened here.

Development looks to be what I expect, but there's what looks kinda like a pip here.

Now I know I'm a day late, but I somehow don't think that this chick is pipping two days early.

I really can't figure out what made this crack. It looks like it was pushed outward, not inward, so I don't think it was damage on my part.

I don't know what to make of this, tbh. Has anyone ever had something like this happen?

Notes: Separated from the others, but away from the dud eggs. It leaked some fluid, so I fear Neopolitan is also a loss. 😭 Very weird
received_539415444037523.jpeg

received_2785313831708090.jpeg

Vanilla Bean

Looks a lot nicer, but you can clearly see the saddled air holes. Later today I'm going to poke some air holes in because of the saddled shape on most of these, just in case.

Notes: Best looking egg left
received_188858476623084.jpeg

Minty. 😭 I held out hope for my fave, but I'm guessing this is another loss.

Notes: In containment with the other presumed duds
received_1163539497499929.jpeg

Peanut Butter

Nothing seems to have changed since last time. Added to the dud quarantine. The shell is still pretty dark, so maybe there's a chance, but I'm not holding out hope.

Notes: Not much else to say
received_347850836939735.jpeg

Sprinkles

Like Minty, I gave them every chance to improve, but it's just not happening.

Notes: Dud pile. I really don't have the heart to crack these open right now 😭
received_186867516813376.jpeg

Wasabi. Very dark, but I can see an air cell, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Notes: Finally some decent news
received_333056428465757.jpeg

Pistachio!

Can't see a darn thing, no matter what I do. I'm taking this as good news, and keeping them in.

Notes: Back to square one, but honestly after today, I'll take it.
received_151681313706364.jpeg

So, final running:

We have Vanilla Bean, Wasabi, and Pistachio in the lead for most likely to hatch.

Neopolitan is a case of WTF, and I have mixed feelings about their chances of still being alive at all.

Rocky Road, Minty, Peanut Butter, and Sprinkles are losses. I'll probably take them out officially tomorrow and carefully open them on the air cell end. Just in case. I have a hard time accepting that half of my remaining eggs quit 😭

Technical notes:
• Filled the water chamber all the way and added a wet paper towel (not touching any eggs)
• Opened the airflow all the way to max (was previously on medium)
• Turned off turning (12-ish hours late, whoops)

A little heartbroken, I let my expectations get too high after I said I wouldn't. Going back to my initial claim of, "I'll be happy if even one hatches."

I'll be picking up some Welsummer chicks either way, to be friends with whatever chicks hatch (if any). So either way I'll be getting chicks, I just hope we get at least one hatch 😭

Estimated hatch date: Jul 31/Aug 1

I might do a stream if my heart recovers from being crushed by then. Don't keep your hopes up for one tho, I'm a little broken right now.
I said I wasn't going to get my hopes up, and the day 14 looked good so I did it anyway. I always do this with eggs 😭

It's certainly possible.

Makes me worry that I could have helped but didn't even notice until now.

Yep. Just peeled back the shell in that spot and right underneath was a little beak. I don't even know when they first pipped, I wasn't expecting any of them to pip for quite a while.

No movement at all. I'll have to do an eggtopsy later. It seems they just never got past the pip.

Back
Top Bottom