Bingo Egg Hatch-a-Long

Also, I now realize that because the angle the picture was taken at, it looks like they pipped at the wrong end entirely, but this isn't the case.

They're just about perfectly halfway down. I still think malposition, and they may be facing the wrong way entirely, I can't quite tell

Some sobering news.

After 48 hours I figured it was time to take Vanilla Bean out and see if an assist was needed or if it was already too late.

And as I suspected, Vanilla Bean didn't make it.

(I also took out Neopolitan, my other Jubilee Orpington, and similarly no luck.)

I didn't do a full eggtopsy, but broke open the air cells, and it seems they pipped externally and died shortly after. I couldn't see anything visibly wrong with them - they were positioned correctly, didn't hit a vein, were pipped along the edge of the air cell. As mentioned before, Neopolitan had some fluid that had leaked out, and their pip was particularly shallow, but otherwise nothing weird. I don't think either of them lived very long after pipping.

I had really hoped that one of the Jubilee Orpingtons would have made it, but no such luck.

In less depressing news, Pistachio is still chirping away and I can see their beak moving around. They took a long nap today where they were clearly breathing but not chirping much, but they're cheeping a bit more now.

I suspect they're still absorbing the yolk and may take a while longer to make progress, but they're chilling out right now.

No news from Wasabi yet. It's possible they didn't make it this far, but I'll give them plenty of time just in case.

It's been between 24 and 30 hours since Pistachio pipped, and my need to interfere finally kicked in.

I peeled some of the egg shell away near Pistachio's face. They were definitely facing the wrong direction. Their foot is also way up by their face, so I suspect they weren't able to maneuver around too much.

They're still very much active and squirming, and cheeping, so I don't think they're too weak from struggling.

I do see some reddish veins still, so I'm leaving them be for a while longer before interfering much more. They may be able to get out on their own if given a little time, but I think they may need some further help.

For now I'm letting Pistachio be, I wet down the membrane again with coconut oil, and I've replaced the wet paper towel, so they should be good. I'll be keeping a close eye on them.

They're chirping a whole lot, so I can easily keep an ear out for them.

received_520203155955382.jpeg

received_344219020635568.jpeg

I think they're definitely shrink wrapped. They're going to need more help, but they're definitely still absorbing yolk, so I'm giving them more time before I interfere any more.

I think their head has stuck to the membrane and can't move it. So I've applied warm water and coconut oil trying to loosen it up a bit.

They're still very active, so I know they're strong, I just hope they don't tire themselves out before they absorb the yolk.

Okay, we were about to go to bed and checked on Pistachio one more time.

Their yolk was absorbed and weren't squirming as much so I decided it was time to interfere.

I removed the remainder of the shell and then started on the membrane. I wet down the membrane with very warm water and held him in a very warm wet towel that I re-wet as it cooled.

There was a tiny bit of yolk left, but his umbilical cord was dry, so I figured it was safe to remove him entirely.

The only part I had difficulty was a spot near his eye, where the membrane had hardened nearly completely, but with some patience I got most of that removed too.

Right now he's in the incubator for a bit, but I'm going to put him in the brooder to dry off and figure out this whole "standing" thing in a bit.

He's trying his best to stand, but he might have curled toes in one leg, so we'll have to see how he progresses.

Pictures coming soon.

Last edited:
Pistachio is now able to consistently roll themselves onto their feet. Their balance is wack, and I still think their foot might have curled toes, but they're ungracefully moving about the brooder now.

They've still got a small bit of membrane on their head that I couldn't quite get off, but I don't think it'll cause them any problems. When I was assisting, there was part of it stuck to their eye that I had to very carefully remove, which was my main worry.

Right now they're in the, 'wobble around, sit, wobble around, sit,' loop.

They appear to be kinda greyish/silver with feathered feet. I'll take pictures in the morning when they'll surely be fully fluffed up and perhaps more steady on their feet.

It's been so long since I've had chicks myself 😭. Pistachio is so cute. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. I gotta keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom