Birchen Marans Thread

Pics
Exactly. If you mix the silver and let's say copper, you will end up with a mess that will take generations to fix.

Ok great to know they were running with the copper flock I bought so I now have them seperated hoping they all settle and start laying soon also now want to find some more hens or pullets to go with him.

Ok great to know they were running with the copper flock I bought so I now have them seperated hoping they all settle and start laying soon also now want to find some more hens or pullets to go with him.
You need to give them three or more weeks if they were in with a Copper roo. Apparently in chickens the semen can last for up to a month. Good thing that doesn't happen in humans or our population would probably be in the trillions by now, especially after the 1960s. :)

So excited to find this thread! I love my birchens. I bought them from someone raising several types of marans and he said his birchens laid the darkest eggs of all of his Marans. I bought them all! I've bred them and am very happy with the look of the pullets they've produced so far.

So excited to find this thread! I love my birchens. I bought them from someone raising several types of marans and he said his birchens laid the darkest eggs of all of his Marans. I bought them all! I've bred them and am very happy with the look of the pullets they've produced so far.
I have found that true for me as well. My Birchen Marans lay darker than my Black Copper. My only problem is that my roo is a mean little thing.

I have two lovely Birchen Pullets hatched in mid June so they are around 11 weeks old...both are pretty much solid black. At what point might I be able to expect the silver to show if it was going to?

I have found that true for me as well. My Birchen Marans lay darker than my Black Copper. My only problem is that my roo is a mean little thing.
My Marans roo has learned to jump and attack (shoulder level). Not sure if I am going to continue breeding Birchen Marans because of the aggressive roos.

Last edited:
I have two lovely Birchen Pullets hatched in mid June so they are around 11 weeks old...both are pretty much solid black. At what point might I be able to expect the silver to show if it was going to?
My roosters definitely show before my hens. I think my hens were between 8 and 12 weeks. I do have some that I bought as adults that are solid black though and still lay beautiful eggs. Their pullets are getting the silver so far. Hope you get that pretty silver on yours!

My Marans roo has learned to jump and attack (shoulder level). Not sure if I am going to continue breeding Birchen Marans because of the aggressive roos.
So far all of my Marans roos have been very sweet. I have had many breeds throughout my life and have found no connection between breed and aggressiveness of the roos. I've had sweet game roos and nasty barred rocks. I would say my Marans roo is one of the sweetest boys I've ever had. The roos I've gotten from him are as well. Could it be genetics I wonder? Are all of your mean Marans roos from the same mean father?

So far all of my Marans roos have been very sweet. I have had many breeds throughout my life and have found no connection between breed and aggressiveness of the roos. I've had sweet game roos and nasty barred rocks. I would say my Marans roo is one of the sweetest boys I've ever had. The roos I've gotten from him are as well. Could it be genetics I wonder? Are all of your mean Marans roos from the same mean father?
They all came directly from Greenfire. I have processed all but one and may process the last one as well.

They all came directly from Greenfire. I have processed all but one and may process the last one as well.

That's too bad. How many have you bought from them, just out of curiosity? I wouldn't breed any mean roos. I have some beautiful young birchen Marans roos I would give away, just because I have too many. But I'm in California.

Back
Top Bottom