Birchen Marans Thread

Pics
Hello any body there .any body have some Birchen to share .

post photos ,ask question , say hello ,but don t stay silence .

the choks aren t going to breed them selves ,we have to do t .and we have to share the experience of breeding this gorgeous variety.

Thanks to all ho manage to read this modest world .

cheers .

chooks man

I am sad, I lost my best pullet to a skunk or raccoon yesterday. Have yet to catch it, so at night I'm locking up everyone tighter than a drum. She had great color and type, a little light on the leg feathering, her big flaw was a bit of mossiness on the breast.
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
And I lost one of my replacer cockerels too. At least I have 2 pullets left from this year's breeding after culls.
1f62d.png
1f61e.png

I had a strange occurrence. I ended up with one Birchen Marans cockerel that had no tail, completely rumpless like an auracauna. Weird! Needless to say, he will be delicious.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your lost .she was pretty man.

watch up every thing wild want to eat chooks .like as human we like to eat them too ( roast chicken .satay chicken and the list goes on.

it is always bad when some one lose they chooks. to much time and hard work goes into them. wild animal don t understand that.

No tail .I have seen t in French forum . the expert there are saying Mr Aras has been there is the past .

ATAVISTIC RETURN OF THE RECESSIVE GENE

he ll test for sure.

good luck to you with a new restart .

chooks man

I was told that my new rooster is a birchen marans rooster. Please have a look and give feedback.

The colors in the picture are a little off but I know he shouldn't have the yellowish coloring on the saddle and wing.
Any conforming traits here?

Sadly I just lost my great cuckoo hen with dark eggs to a wild animal. If I understand correctly, I could have mated the two for birchen pullets?

LL
LL

your cockerel is a Birchen marans not pure silver . he s half way Ss+ Silver/Gold..
he s a bad type like you see in the drawing triangle shape.. mean his back is short and his tail is too high 90 degree Angle to the back.

he should be long rectangle shape . I ll post an example for you soon.

Shame you lost your silver cuckoo hen. they will end up giving you a single bared roosters( some pure silver other impure) and Birchen pullet with a great silver hackles.

Do not loose your chooks to wild animal .please.

Chooks man

Thanks for all the info. I still think he's a beautiful bird. Should I try to breed him with a cuckoo to get a birchen pullet or is it even worth it?

Thanks for all the info. I still think he's a beautiful bird. Should I try to breed him with a cuckoo to get a birchen pullet or is it even worth it?

I did not say he is not .

what I said he does not comply to the standard . he have a fault that all .

I like his frent part ( head . eyes, chest , shoulder)

but I don t like his end part ( tail and back too short)

Plus color wise he is half way S/s+ ( mean he still carry one copies of the golden gene plus the Autossomal Red .

il you have a pure silver cuckoo hen with a long back and tail with a right angle you will come up with a few nice Birchen pullets. ALL depend on the hen you are going to mate him with.

All the best,

PS post a photo of the Silver cuckoo hen you got on your mind . cheers

Chooks man

So, my cock, Jake, has the disqualifier in his comb, but I have successfully bred out from him some birds who don't have side sprigs like him, and have culled heavily, but I don't have a bird that I like enough to replace him with yet. The sons he produced that are free of sprigs have mossy chests! Can they grow out of mossiness or should I try again next spring and keep him one more season? Or is there someone else out there who has another decent Birchen Marans cockerel that they wish to sell?

what do you mean by mossy chestt .can you please poet some photos of this cockerels you are talking about.

your rooster is well colored and a good type PLUS the birchen hen next to him is stunning .How you can t come out with a good cockerel from this pairing .

I worked with worst rooster than him and I managed to come out with good replacement .culled a lot . part of the selection .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom