Bird Flu In Washington- Info and discussion thread

Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
In just the last few days, several cases of Bird Flu have been discovered and diagnosed in Washington. Pacific, Stevens, and now Roy have all been hit. If you are a poultry keeper in any of these locations, my heart goes out to you. :hugs I really hope you're able to protect all your birds and keep them safe.

For all of us Washtonians, what have you been doing now that its close to protect your birds? I'm working in overtime to get my covered run up. Oddly, when this started half of me didn't think it would make it to Wa, I was very wrong. Its beginning to get very scary.
Feel free to share updates on Flu cases in Wa, if you have personal experience with bird flu being in your area, your flock being within a quarantine zone, or bird flu in your flock. Share what your currently doing differently, or have been doing to protect your birds. And of course, offering support to all the Washtonians, (and anyone else from other areas that wants to join along,) who are in a high risk area or state. Inspiration for others on covering runs, covering materials, and ways to protect their birds are very welcome as well.
I hope it dissipates soon, but until then, this thread is open for discussion, updates, and support.

Thank you @NanaK and @Hinotori. I appreciate it so much. I’ve been beside myself with worry. My girls mean the world to me.

I haven’t known what on earth to expect and nothing I read was telling me. I hope we have been cautious enough. We do have coop shoes although over the three weeks without a case we became more lax.

Then I worried that they’d be unhappy with us for moving them up to the house too. I just want to keep them safe but I’m so Not good at having no idea of the process.

I just saw that it has reached Wa recently.

So far I haven’t done anything yet-but I’m working on fixing the netting and maintaining the proper hygiene.

So far it’s not too close to my location-but I know how rapidly it spreads. I’d really really hate to have my flock euthanized. That would be terrible.

I also thought it was unlikely to reach Washington, I was hopeful it would just be a case or two and then go away-unfortunately that isn’t the case.

I’m kinda freaking out right now-it tears me up to think of saying goodbye to my 23 chickens, aged from 2 weeks to 5 years. I really am praying it doesn’t reach me.

Back
Top Bottom