Bird missing from tree

Quote:
Not to be a downer, but if it's an owl there is nothing you can do other than to make sure that everyone is secure at night. Legally you cannot trap, remove, kill, nor even harass them.

Best wishes, I hope that your chickens learn to roost in their coop.
smile.png

After going home to find the dog next door had killed my favorite duck, bringing his total birds killed to 11, I don't really care if something cool like an owl eats some. I expected we would lose a bird here and there (such as the two Sunday night). And since we are keeping the chickens on lock down I don't think that critter will get any more soon.

Quote:
Yes you can get a owl in a live trap but it's not likely. a net will stop him, even if the occational coon goes thru it

The pan has a slot, groove or mouth that the catch that attaches to or sets in. See how little a contact you can use between the two as it then takes a very slight touch to activate the trap. Don't go too light or a breeze / leaf will set it off the trap. Just play with it and see how light a touch you can get.

If you're real desperate, set a large rat trap on top of each of the owl's perch(s) that he uses to observe the chickens. You can tell it's his spot by the amount of poo around it. Attach a string to the trap so it doesn't fly away with the bird and it won't hurt him but he'll move on once he gets snapped. Kinda like using mouse traps to keep the dog off the couch. Predators are very leary of being hurt, if they can't hunt, they will become the hunted or starve. I don't support poison usage except as a last resort because of the chance the wrong critter will get it or possible secondary poisioning, lost dogs to that.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes you can get a owl in a live trap but it's not likely. a net will stop him, even if the occational coon goes thru it

The pan has a slot, groove or mouth that the catch that attaches to or sets in. See how little a contact you can use between the two as it then takes a very slight touch to activate the trap. Don't go too light or a breeze / leaf will set it off the trap. Just play with it and see how light a touch you can get.

If you're real desperate, set a large rat trap on top of each of the owl's perch(s) that he uses to observe the chickens. You can tell it's his spot by the amount of poo around it. Attach a string to the trap so it doesn't fly away with the bird and it won't hurt him but he'll move on once he gets snapped. Kinda like using mouse traps to keep the dog off the couch. Predators are very leary of being hurt, if they can't hunt, they will become the hunted or starve. I don't support poison usage except as a last resort because of the chance the wrong critter will get it or possible secondary poisioning, lost dogs to that.

Just out of curiosity - how would one un-trap a Great Horned Owl from a rat trap? They're big and have sharp stuff attached to them, and I imagine there would be much wing-flapping going on when approached.

Back
Top Bottom