Birds at TSC- are they really pullets?

TSC doesn't take much care with sexing their chicks. :rolleyes:(NO HATE ON TSC THOUGH!:)) I would get a popular breed, since those seem to be more accurately sexed. I bought 6 chicks from them, and all but 2 were roos. You can always sex them yourself too. I would think buying from a nearby breeder would be a better bet. :idunno

Is it because they produce chicks in mass quantities that they don't put effort into sexing them?
The hatcheries do put effort into sexing them. Sexing day old chicks is hard. It is an art, and takes practice. Even the best of them are wrong some of the time, I have heard 10% error is normal. If you buy straight run, you are more likely to get males, IMO, because they have a lot of boys to get rid of, after they've decided which ones are likely pullets. If you order directly from the hatchery, "filler" chicks are usually males as well. Bantams cannot be reliably sexed as day old chicks, so those are sold straight run, also.

Is it because they produce chicks in mass quantities that they don't put effort into sexing them?

Its not for lack of effort. Its just that there is a large margin for error. Generally vent sexing day old chick is about 80% accurate on average. So if you ordered 100 pullets you'll likely get at least 20 cockerels maybe even more. @townchicks also has some great points.

The hatcheries do put effort into sexing them. Sexing day old chicks is hard. It is an art, and takes practice. Even the best of them are wrong some of the time, I have heard 10% error is normal. If you buy straight run, you are more likely to get males, IMO, because they have a lot of boys to get rid of, after they've decided which ones are likely pullets. If you order directly from the hatchery, "filler" chicks are usually males as well. Bantams cannot be reliably sexed as day old chicks, so those are sold straight run, also.
Some hatcheries sell sex linkes and auto sexing bantams.

Back
Top Bottom