Birds dying...extreme cold! **UPDATE** 12/23 PG 10

Quote:
The horses are on 10 acres with a 3 sided shelter...so that wouldn't work.
sad.png

Mrs.Puff :

OH man. Sorry about your birds.. It was three degrees in my coop this morning, but mine are okay. We wrapped thick plastic around the whole coop just as the big freeze was coming in. I might have lost some otherwise. I think getting the dog carrier a good idea. Let them get up on the roost at night, then pluck them down after they're settled and place them in the carrier. If you cover it with a blanket so they can't see out, you can even bring it inside.

I've heard experts say that your birds should not be dying in these temps though. Are you sure they aren't sick with something?

I hope not?? They are all eating & drinking well--I've upped their feed to try & help them stay warmer....​

Mrs.Puff :

I agree with Spook. People have been raising hens w/o heat for ages. I think you either have a really drafty coop, or your birds are ill. You should check on diseases that cause "sudden death".

Well, I know they are freezing to death because I brought two inside yesterday & thawed them out & they were okay this morning...they shouldn't have any diseases--they were all hatched out this spring, never have left my place & my coop is very clean. It has good ventilation and I do not think it's too drafty...the wind-chill outside makes it below zero....​

Try to get some game bird flight conditioner in at least 24% protien, you can also feed some cracked corn as a treat or cat food to help build body heat.

Oh I am so sorry. It is unusually cold here too, but still warmer by nearly 10 degrees than you are. It is staying mostly in the low 20's and dropping occasionally into the teens. My coop is not heated either and although my araucana are hardier than your faverolles seem to be, they are not orpingtons. I just hung a light, practically had to move heaven and earth to do it, and they seem to lke it although I'm not sure it truly warms them much. I am going out every few hours and replacing the frozen/freezing water with a fresh warm one. I think that is helping quite a bit, and I took some layer crumbles and made them into a nice wet warm mash. I am pretty sure one of the hens does not like / isn't drinking. I think the warm wet food is helping her. When all this is over I am definitely changing some things about my coop.

Oh two of mine (sisters and still young) have scrunched into the enclosed laying nest. surrounded by hay and wadded into a ball of feather fluff they seem much warmer thanthe others. You might stuff a couple of boxes even cardboard ones with hay lay them on their sides and kind of hollow out a cave for them to scrunch into and heat up with body heat.

If they are already ill though, they could be suffering from severe stress due to the cold. So when they warm up, they seem okay. Maybe you should just get a coop heater and call it a day.

Quote:
Well, I know they are freezing to death because I brought two inside yesterday & thawed them out & they were okay this morning...they shouldn't have any diseases--they were all hatched out this spring, never have left my place & my coop is very clean. It has good ventilation and I do not think it's too drafty...the wind-chill outside makes it below zero....

That is good that you know your birds well, BUT, you can bring disease in on grain bags, your clothing, shoes or in the bales of shavings (for example). Also one of the many reasons proper BioSecurity is so difficult is that you may have the furrier in for horses, he has been in, around and vehicle has been on other farms, to pass something on to your birds. Lastly, wild birds flying over, stopping to eat, wild Turkeys and rodents can contaminate your area.
So when someone made comment, it was not to insult you, as for a clean house, that doesn't matter, its what may have come into the birds space, not always that your birds left that area.
Good luck and if I was you, lay out thick shavings on the floor and pray for the best. A heat lamp should be fine, if they are cold, they can go to it.

Back
Top Bottom