Discolored Rooster Waddles

maggievetsch

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
I have two Roosters, non-aggressive with one another. The biggest of the two had a small spot on one side of his waddle at the start of Fall, I chalked it up to a nip or peck from another of the flock. It didn't seem to go away and just recently both he and my smaller Rooster now have a prolific amount of discoloration on their waddles. The bigger with spots in differing spots, the smaller with the bottom half on both sides being completely discolored.

We got quite a cold burst in Southern Wisconsin for a couple weeks, but tried to inhibit potential damage from the temps by putting a ceramic heater on a timer, insulating the inside of the coop roof and making sure the vents were "breathing" well so moisture didn't accumulate as I was concerned it could be frostbite.

Still unsure as I don't know much about contagious parasites/pathogens and it's hard to tell with half of my girls doing their molts and looking a bit frankenstein-ish themselves.

Attachments

• C561E393-65FD-4F22-B50A-28F72E9A935C.jpeg
    C561E393-65FD-4F22-B50A-28F72E9A935C.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 0D538E27-B238-4B25-BF05-51874437F409.jpeg
    0D538E27-B238-4B25-BF05-51874437F409.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 8
the smaller with the bottom half on both sides being completely discolored.

as I was concerned it could be frostbite.
It is.

He probably got his wattles wet while drinking, and that bit froze. Leave it alone. Don't touch it or put anything on it. You didn't do anything wrong; big droopy wattles get wet. Unless you switch to a nipple style waterer (and can keep it unfrozen in the very cold temps), this can happen. It happened twice to my Buff Orpington rooster.

The discolored area will shrivel and dry up, then eventually slough off, like a scab. He'll be fine.

It is.

He probably got his wattles wet while drinking, and that bit froze. Leave it alone. Don't touch it or put anything on it. You didn't do anything wrong; big droopy wattles get wet. Unless you switch to a nipple style waterer (and can keep it unfrozen in the very cold temps), this can happen. It happened twice to my Buff Orpington rooster.

The discolored area will shrivel and dry up, then eventually slough off, like a scab. He'll be fine.
Although I'm bummed it is frostbite, I'm glad that they will more or less heal on their own.

We switched to a nipple feeder before the cold really set in this year, very possible they're still dribbling on themselves!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom