BIRDS LAY WHEN THEY WANT TO LAY!

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
I think there is a common misconception that chickens will start laying at 6 months.

Does everyone understand that birds will lay when they are ready to lay, and that doesn't always mean at 6 months on the mark?

You can feed them the best diets, supplement them with the best vitamins and minerals, provide the best housing for them, and even stand on your head in their coop while chanting the ancient laying prayer of the chicken Gods, and NOTHING you do will make them lay any faster?

The best way I have found to get a young hen to lay is provide plenty of food and water for them once you think they are of laying age. Don't check any of the nest boxes for two weeks. At the end of that time you will have eggs. They may not all be laying but some will. The more you leave them be for that month to six weeks, the more that will be laying. Boiling water is the same way.

I have found that if you alternate between squeezing and shaking them up and down it helps!!!
gig.gif

(I really am kidding)

Its like a woman gets her first period at the same time for everyone?! If that was true... having the talk would be easy because we'd know when we'd HAVE to let them in on the secret! LOL

I'm guessing Chris didn't wanna lay it out that?
lol.png

BUT I WANT EGGS NOW!

...I almost want to whine it like Veruca Salt, or whatever her name was on Willie Wonka:
"I want a golden goose, NOW, Daddy!"

...and these darn birds won't cooperate...I'm certain they watch my daughter check the egg box daily and bust out laughing as soon as she's gone.

Whaaaaaaaaaaanh!
he.gif
hit.gif

Quote:
And making them cute coats out of aluminum foil and pointing to the oven works wonders.
lau.gif

I have Marans and Welsummers that are the same age. The Marans are laying and I don't think any of the Welsummers have even looked at a nest box.

Back
Top Bottom