Birds not laying often enough.

I have four Rhode Island red hens.They were hatched May 1, 2019. It was extremely hot this summer in northern Florida. They didn’t begin to lay until late August. Now, I never get four eggs a day. Usually two sometimes three. I don’t understand why they are not lying. I use good feed they get treats, I don’t think they’re bored. I thought they would be better layers.
I have 5 Barred Rocks, 15 months, one is finishing a molt, not laying since middle of October.
Last two weeks of October I got 20 and 18 eggs per week.
Three previous weeks this month I got 18, 15 and 16.
I got 16 so far this week, including one around 9 this morning.
I had my first no egg day from the young hens the 14th. Got 1 egg on the 20th, 22nd and 27th.
I got 4 eggs the 4th, 15th, and 28th.
They are not as prolific as hatchery RIR, but just using as an example. They don't lay daily.
Want prolific layers, get sex-links.
My first Flock was 5 Golden Comets, a sex-links chicken. Got them as day old chicks end of March 2016.
The first summer I got 32/35 eggs a week. First winter it slowed to 29/32.
I got about 5 less eggs a week the second summer and winter consecutively.
The problem is they are prone to laying problems. I lost 2 around two years old and another around three years. Another retired from laying about 6 months ago. The 5th hen started to molt and hasn't laid in ten days. GC

ETA; I do add lights at 5 am year round, none afternoon, evening, except a nightlight till 15/30 minutes after sunset, so they can see to hop up to roosts.

Last edited:
Hi I haven’t been on here for awhile, but it’s so good to see this forum flourishing. In April or May we bought four young hens from our local feed store. Two Wyandotte’s and 2 Easter Eggers, that lay very hard shell pale bluish to greenish eggs. They all seem healthy and happy. All summer we were swimming in eggs. In September they started molting one after another. I offered higher protein pellets along with mixed cracked corn and reg laying pellets to help the feather regrowth. Eggs began to dwindle. Down to one egg every three days. Usually greenish blue. Finally all laying stopped about October 6th. We have a lot of shade. Not deep shade, but we live in a forest of redwood and pine. We live in the great northwest and tall trees mean that this time of year when the sun is low in the sky we have a lot of shade, and the chicken’s yard right now only gets a splash of actual sunlight for maybe an hour or so a day. I know chickens need sunlight to lay. I’ve read on here about molting so I kind of knew what to expect. But I’m wondering how long this non-laying period will go on. Any ideas? Thanks everyone!! I learn so much from reading your posts in all kinds of topics.

I know chickens need sunlight to lay. I’ve read on here about molting so I kind of knew what to expect. But I’m wondering how long this non-laying period will go on. Any ideas?

Days don't start lengthening again until after winter solstice so you're unlikely to see eggs again until January at earliest, with some possibly starting up as late as March.

I'm into my 2nd flock - 17 hens, that I got as 2 day chicks mid April. Some are 4-5 day a week layers, the Brahmas and Cochins, less. At my peak in early October - I was getting 13-16 a day - presuming this will be the ultimate peak. Now I'm getting 9-10 a day. I'd be happy to share eggs with you - there are only two of us - and my co-workers are starting to tire of eggs every few days!

I live in Florida as well. This is happening because of the heat. It causes them to stop laying. :/ They'll most likely go back to normal when the weather gets cooler.

Back
Top Bottom