Birdwatching Chat Thread

Pics
Summer is definnatly over. :-(
We no longer have that calliope of sound as all the birds greet the day at dawn.
I no longer hear the robins singing their song a sundown.
My husband is housebound (last 9 months) and we set up baby monitor to the outside so he can enjoy the outside sounds including day birds, owls, night toads and crickets, rain....
We sometimes get Osprey in the cell towers next door.
You can watch them carry a fish to the tops and their young will circle and land to share the feast.
Today i was working outside and a hummer thought my bright orange top was interesting. I bet they are close to starting south now.
I was happy to find this thread. 20190721_092028.jpg

Summer is definnatly over. :-(
We no longer have that calliope of sound as all the birds greet the day at dawn.
I no longer hear the robins singing their song a sundown.
My husband is housebound (last 9 months) and we set up baby monitor to the outside so he can enjoy the outside sounds including day birds, owls, night toads and crickets, rain....
We sometimes get Osprey in the cell towers next door.
You can watch them carry a fish to the tops and their young will circle and land to share the feast.
Today i was working outside and a hummer thought my bright orange top was interesting. I bet they are close to starting south now.
I was happy to find this thread.View attachment 2332235
Osprey, amazing!

My great gramp doesn't leave the house much so we put humingbird feeders, bird feeders, bird houses, and surrounded the house with flowers. There are so many pampered birds there and they are always viewable from the windows.

There is this grey egret... I think it's a egret... Well anyway when I go outside in the morning it is always leaving the pond. He looks pretty big and cool. He's a new fella around here, hopefully he doesn't come back next spring. I prefer to see cute little baby ducks swimming in the pond, not becoming a snack.
Do you have a picture? If it is large, all white with yellow beak and black legs, it is a great egret. If it is smallish with black beak and legs and yellow feet, it is a snowy egret. If it is grey, then it could be a great blue heron. Those are the most common heron-type birds that you would find in your area. While they may take the odd small bird, their main diet is fish, crustaceans and amphibians.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture? If it is all white with yellow legs, it is a great egret. If it is smallish with black legs, it is a snowy egret. If it is grey, then it could be a great blue heron. Those are the most common heron-type birds that you would find in your area. While they may take the odd small bird, their main diet is fish, crustaceans and amphibians.
I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

I have a window bird feeder. It works great. We can stand right in front of it on the inside of the house and the birds come right to it! That's a black-capped chickadee in the picture. We also get goldfinch, white breasted and red breasted nuthatches, purple finch, house finch, cardinals, evening grosbeak, and red-breasted grosbeaks. Blue jays have tried to get in but are just a bit too big. One night we even had a flying squirrel in there. The other squirrels can't get to it.
window feeder.JPG

My husband has been bed bound since February so I moved our feeders to the portion of window he can see out of.
notable things he saw this summer were 3 indigo buntings on one feeder at once. And a pileated wood pecker hanging on one of those small 4 inch sewing cakes.
Mostly we see goldfinches, chickadees, grosebeaks, downies, haries, house and purple finch, chipping sparrow, and cardinal. Also cow bird and starlings (not my favorites.) In my bird houses I get blue bird, wren, chickadee, and northern tree swallow. We have pheobies that I love that nest in the soffet of our shed here each summer.
Our farm has lots of old cherry and mulberry trees so we see lots of Robins and cedar wax wings.
My husband's least favorite bird is the jonko because to means winter is here. And to him the first sign of spring is sandhill crane song as they fly and migrate overhead.

My husband has been bed bound since February so I moved our feeders to the portion of window he can see out of.
notable things he saw this summer were 3 indigo buntings on one feeder at once. And a pileated wood pecker hanging on one of those small 4 inch sewing cakes.
Mostly we see goldfinches, chickadees, grosebeaks, downies, haries, house and purple finch, chipping sparrow, and cardinal. Also cow bird and starlings (not my favorites.) In my bird houses I get blue bird, wren, chickadee, and northern tree swallow. We have pheobies that I love that nest in the soffet of our shed here each summer.
Our farm has lots of old cherry and mulberry trees so we see lots of Robins and cedar wax wings.
My husband's least favorite bird is the jonko because to means winter is here. And to him the first sign of spring is sandhill crane song as they fly and migrate overhead.

Sounds like you also have a good variety of birds to watch from the windows. We also get the downy and hairy woodpeckers come to the feeders. The odd time there has been a pileated on a tree.
Indigo buntings are definitely a treat to see! :love

I think the juncos are terribly cute. But, yes, they are a winter bird and prefer picking the seeds up off the ground (or snow).

Back
Top Bottom