Birdwatching Chat Thread

A couple weeks ago after we got some good rain here, I saw these Great Blue Herons standing in line along a flooded driveway. It must've been a good spot to get fish and other aquatic critters when they float up and over the driveway! DSC_0629.jpg DSC_0631.JPG

A couple weeks ago after we got some good rain here, I saw these Great Blue Herons standing in line along a flooded driveway. It must've been a good spot to get fish and other aquatic critters when they float up and over the driveway!View attachment 3461275View attachment 3461276
HOW. IN. THE. WORLD. DOES. THAT. MUCH. WATER. EVEN. EXIST. 🤯🤯🤯

Just kidding haha, well kind of anyway. We usually have similar conditions around this time of year, but this stupid drought that never seems to want to quit is really making me impatient and even kind of mad right now. 😅

Late to the thread, just noticed it. I've been a "birder" for about 55 years, thanks to my mom. I have feeders and bird baths strategically placed so I can view them easily from the kitchen.

Yesterday at the feeders I saw Cardinals, Carolina chickadees, White-breasted nuthatches, Titmice, White-throated sparrows, a Mourning dove, Bluejay, a Myrtle warbler (aka Yellow-rumped), Red-bellied and Downy woodpeckers, and a few Goldfinches. The Goldfinches will be headed north shortly, but the rest I see year round.

HOW. IN. THE. WORLD. DOES. THAT. MUCH. WATER. EVEN. EXIST. 🤯🤯🤯

Just kidding haha, well kind of anyway. We usually have similar conditions around this time of year, but this stupid drought that never seems to want to quit is really making me impatient and even kind of mad right now. 😅
Come to eastern NC, we get an average of 48" of rain annually. :eek:

Late to the thread, just noticed it. I've been a "birder" for about 55 years, thanks to my mom. I have feeders and bird baths strategically placed so I can view them easily from the kitchen.

Yesterday at the feeders I saw Cardinals, Carolina chickadees, White-breasted nuthatches, Titmice, White-throated sparrows, a Mourning dove, Bluejay, a Myrtle warbler (aka Yellow-rumped), Red-bellied and Downy woodpeckers, and a few Goldfinches. The Goldfinches will be headed north shortly, but the rest I see year round.
Oops! Forgot the Carolina wrens.

Here's a not-so-great phone photo from today. Goldfinches are on the left, Myrtle warbler is on the peanut feeder, Cardinal is taking off from the safflower (house) feeder on the right:
IMG_20230409_152002956~2.jpg

:frow Just figured out there is a birdwatching thread :yesss:
Hi! I'm just a birder of about 3 years and want to become an ornithologist when I get to college (not there yet ._." ). I met an ornithologist a couple months ago and hopefully can job-shadow this summer!
I had a suet feeder but stopped due to constant raids by a certain furry rodent that didn't stop despite capsaicin being put into the feed. There were also European starlings too.
Once, I found some squirrel tail hair stuck onto the feeder pole haha. Didn't know what happened there but later there was a squirrel prancing around with its tail "mysteriously" having a baldspot. (I have no idea what happened!)

Back
Top Bottom